X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honeywell TH9421

Hello. This is my situation. I have a 2 yr old home. Well insulated. We live in WA where it is cold. We just spent $8K on a new heat pump and handler. Our defrosters on heat pump do not work and the company won't do anything until the weather warms up. They put us on emer heat. I understand why. But our system will run for 3 mins and shutoff for 1, or it will just keep running. Mostly thought it will short cycle. We keep our temp at 65 until 1000 pm then it goes to 60. Our last elec bill was $310!! I have nevr had a bill above $140. My last two homes with new systems would run until a degree higher than selected, shutoff until a degree lower than selected and then come back on. Is there anything I can do to lower my bill? I installed this to save me money. Thanks.

Re: Honeywell TH9421

u need to get the contractor to fix the defrost cycle it doesnt matter if its cold or not this can be fixed at anytime... sounds like they r just trying to stall the problem... maybe the unit heaters r undersized would be why it wont shutoff... is the temp going above setpoint?

Comment

If its that cold outside the heat pump isnt going to run anyway. Or atleast run efficiently. Did you have an all electric resistance system before switching to the air-to-air with electric backup?

Why would someone install an air to air heat pump in Washington? Sounds like someone fell for the 'Hybrid Heat' sales pitch. The only heat pump I have installed was 8 hours south of me at my parents house. There, it actually does some good.

Andy

Comment

My electric shot up 3X the value, compared to a few months ago, might wanna check the pricing on what your being charged. I too was paying $150.00 a month, now I'm paying $400.00-$450.00 a month. Gotta tell ya, we even made it in all of the newspaper throughout our state, because of this.
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

No it does not go above set temp. No matter where you set it 60, 65, 68 it gets to that temp just fine but will either short cycle or keep running. The unit is the correct size for our home. Honeywell told me twice that this stat will NOT go over the set temp. It will activate when within + or - 0.5 degree of target temp. I have never seen this before. The company that installed the system told us they cannot diagnose the problem when temps are below 40 degrees. The owner even agreed with them. They have been around for 30 yrs.

Comment

It is not a hybrid system. It is a Goodman system with Honeywell temp controls. Before the defrosters quit, my bill was 128$ I think. Then went to 310. It is always short cycling or running all the time. I don't get it. Honeywell said you cannot adjust the deadband on this stat.

Steve

Comment

That number sounds normal for runing hair dryer for heat an Bull S--- on cant fix it now. as long as the unit is not a block of ice. and if it is I have used a portable salamander heater to thaw them. alot of service people do not know how to add refrigerant to a heat pump in the heating mode maby that is the issue, but I just changed a defrost control and sensor and i was standing in a foot of snow. and you can add refrigerant through the low side heat pump mode port

Comment

Working...
              X