X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Coil size??

Is there a standard heaight of an A coil? I am going to be installing a backdraft damper in my plenum and want to make sure I have enough room if I ever want to have A/C installed.

Re: A Coil size??

Originally posted by Kungur View Post
    Is there a standard heaight of an A coil? I am going to be installing a backdraft damper in my plenum and want to make sure I have enough room if I ever want to have A/C installed.
    Why would you need a backdraft damper in a plenum ( VAV system?)??? Or are you talking about your vent stack?

If I remember right if you stick with an A or N coil they should all be within a few inches of each other...

I have seen Lennox and Goodman coils that are what I call flat coils(single coil) and can get pretty tall.

A Coils vary slightly by capacity and manfacturer.

2 ton is "roughly" 14" tall
    2.5 Ton " 17"
    3 Ton " 19.5"
    3.5 Ton " 21.5"
    4 Ton " 25"
    5 Ton " 25"

Okie

Comment

coil size is determined by capacity, manufacturer, type and efficiancy. Oldere coils may be smaller than the new ones. Also how are you venting this do you have a seperate chimney? save yourself your equipment and your family and call a pro

Comment

Originally posted by Danimal535@charter.net View Post
        coil size is determined by capacity, manufacturer, type and efficiancy. Oldere coils may be smaller than the new ones. Also how are you venting this do you have a seperate chimney? save yourself your equipment and your family and call a pro
        A little alarmist don't you think.... At least wait for more information before you pronounce the guy incapable

Comment

The backdraft damper, from Greenheck, is going in the top of the plenum. The reason-I installed a solid fuel furnace and I did not want the "new" heat flowing back into the "old" furnace. But I want the "old" furnace to be my back-up.
          Thanks for the approximate sizes of the coil. would have an HVAC guy do that install but I am just doing some"homework".

Comment

I occasionally get requests to pipe solid fuel units in with a gas forced air heating system. Seems like they always have 2 8" openings on the top with a small blower. I pipe those 2 8" to the return duct of the gas heating system then turn the fan switch on the thermostat to "on". I've never had any complaints about it not working.

Andy

Comment

A new 13 SEER unit may be larger than the installer contemplated when he did your furnace, and down the road, since you will be into R410 and possibly even higher SEERS, then coil size is just something that you will have to deal with.

Comment

Working...
              X