X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Domestic Hot Water Coil

My Dad has an oil-fired boiler with a domestic hot water heating coil in it. The coil needs to be cleaned. I sweated on a couple of isolation valves and the fittings to couple up two short garden hoses and a pump so I can pump a solution through the coil. The last time I did it I think I used CLR or similar product. My question is, is there a better type of coil cleaner I can pump through there? Thanks fellas.

Re: Cleaning Domestic Hot Water Coil

I've had good results using Un-Lime sold by AO Smith

Comment

There is a product called Sizzle though you can not buy it without a plumbing license. It does a fine job indeed but better than 1/2 the time it will eat right through the coil. If this is a recurring problem do your old man a favor and put in an indirect. Coils suck. They plug up, don't make steady hot water or enough of it and are very very costly to operate.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the advice NHMaster3015. I will probably go the indirect water heater route. Can you recommend a good one? I don't mind spending the money to set them (my parents) straight. There's just the two of them, would a 50 gal. unit have enough capacity? I have friends in the trade so a licensed only product would not be a problem obtaining.

Comment

Aa 40 gallon Super-Stor should get the job done and the price is right also.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X