Why ammonia refrigeration system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why ammonia refrigeration system

Why ammonia refrigeration is preferred over conventional refrigeration when it comes to industrial scale. Also i have seen ammonia refrigeration has been used for central A/C system in a commercial building.Is there any reason other than ammonia is cheaper and it is environment friendly and does not cause the kind of damages that fluoro carbons do.

Re: Why ammonia refrigeration system

You answered your own question.
    sigpic

Comment

It is also Refrigeration 101 because it doesn't get any simpler than a flooded coil, minus the health dangers of course.
      spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

ammonia is powerfull stuff when i was young and stupid i was tearing a part a small ptac unit and cut a cap tube (looks like #12 wire if you dont know any better) on a txv that contained ammonia and it almost knocked me over. but ts used mostly because its proven and isnt as bad for the atmosphere
        "Do it so you can go to sleep at night."

Comment

Ammonia systems existed long before we had the technology to use fluorocarbon products or even had CFC refrigerants for that matter.

The dangers associated with ammonia make it a risky transfer medium in systems used in residential applications. Also the equipment does not scale down as well as systems designed to use CFCs.

Ice houses, skating rinks, cold storage, and other such large scale systems are the domain of ammonia systems.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

most RV type or gas, refrigerators still use Ammonia as a refrigerant, so it is used in small units. just diffrently.
            http://www.rvmobile.com/Tech/Trouble/cooldoc.htm
            it is referred to as absorption refergeration,
            yes one can use compression as well, but it lends it self to other types of processes,
            Attached Files
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

And then there is LiBr! That system keeps the engine room on a nuclear submarine under 100º

Comment

As a very young man (not out of high school), I worked at a ice cream plant in St. Louis, MO. They used ammonia. It can be a killer if a large leak occurs. Why they used it, I can only assume it was less expensive than other refrigerants.

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
                  And then there is LiBr! That system keeps the engine room on a nuclear submarine under 100º
                  Lithium Bromide Absorbtion for the win!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X