Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breakers

Hello all new to this forum and i have a question
    I installed a new pool pump and would like to install a gfci breaker in my fuse panel.the line is 220 can i use 2 single pole 20amp gfci breakers that i already have or do i have to buy a double pole 20 amp gfci breaker
    Thanks for your help

Re: breakers

Originally posted by bkelly View Post
    I installed a new pool pump and would like to install a gfci breaker in my fuse panel.the line is 220 can i use 2 single pole 20amp gfci breakers that i already have or do i have to buy a double pole 20 amp gfci breaker
    Thanks for your help
    You should use a double pole breaker.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bkelly View Post
      Thanks for your help
      You need to post this on the ELEC. forum . And We don't have the pump Specs. Thanks
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        You need to post this on the ELEC. forum . And We don't have the pump Specs. Thanks
        But it's a pump and the pool has water in it so it is a plumbing issue right

Comment

im with bob on this

Comment

first how does the breaker work,

A GFCI is much more subtle. When you look at a normal 120-volt outlet in the United States, there are two vertical slots and then a round hole centered below them. The left slot is slightly larger than the right. The left slot is called "neutral," the right slot is called "hot" and the hole below them is called "ground." If an appliance is working properly, all electricity that the appliance uses will flow from hot to neutral. A GFCI monitors the amount of current flowing from hot to neutral. If there is any imbalance, it trips the circuit. It is able to sense a mismatch as small as 4 or 5 milliamps, and it can react as quickly as one-thirtieth of a second. http://home.howstuffworks.com/question117.htm
            so if you use two 120 volt breakers that is monitoring the flow of current from the hot to the neutral and since it is 240, there should not be any current flowing on the neutral wire, it will trip, as it indicates that the current is leaking off some where, you will need on designed for 240 volt operation to work properly.

a basic wiring diagram of a 220 volt spa GFCI
            http://www.sunrayspas.ca/images/Spa-Wiring-Diagram.jpg
            FOLLOW THE DIGRAM THAT COMES WITH THE BREAKER YOU BUY.

IF you have any confusion get a qualified person in to do the wiring.
            Last edited by BHD; 01-17-2009, 09:50 PM.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              You should use a double pole breaker.
              A very correct answer. You really should just get a 2 pole GFCI breaker of proper specs.

Comment

Working...
              X