What kind of ductwork...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of ductwork...?

What kind of ductwork would you recommend to put in place of the old? I have some metal ductwork that has rusted through at the boots. Current ductwork is round metal with insulation wrapping.

Thanks for any opinions.

J.C.

Re: What kind of ductwork...?

I run into lots of old register boots that arent galvanized and have rusted through. Not sure why they did that.

How old is this system you are talking about? You could probably just replace what is rusted through with galvanized and it would last another 50 years. But if your duct and register system layout is from an old gravity furnace it will have the returns on the outside walls, and the supplys on the inside. This is the opposite of how a forced air system is designed to work. My point being, now might be a good time to rip everything out and start from scratch.

Andy

Comment

Older forced air system. 9 SEER A/C with NG heat. I was vacuuming the ducts out and taking a peek inside with my little camera. (See "What's this in the duct?" thread).

I vacuumed one of the boots out and it just vacuumed a 6" hole in the 90. Patched that. Some of the actual duct doesn't look that bad in my opinion but I'm way far from an HVAC person.

This house may become a rental soon if that gives any direction on your advice.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
        I run into lots of old register boots that arent galvanized and have rusted through. Not sure why they did that.

How old is this system you are talking about? You could probably just replace what is rusted through with galvanized and it would last another 50 years. But if your duct and register system layout is from an old gravity furnace it will have the returns on the outside walls, and the supplys on the inside. This is the opposite of how a forced air system is designed to work. My point being, now might be a good time to rip everything out and start from scratch.

Andy
        What,are you crazy?
        That would cost money.

Sorry JC
        Just too easy....

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          What,are you crazy?
          That would cost money.

Sorry JC
          Just too easy....
          Rough on a brother. I guess I could get out the Pringles cans, sandwich bags, & bread ties I've been saving and make a few patches.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by jcsplumbing View Post
            rough on a brother. I guess i could get out the pringles cans, sandwich bags, & bread ties i've been saving and make a few patches.

J.c.
            :d

Comment

I think areas where there is a change in direction get impinged with particulate matter carried in the air stream and by water in the air as it moves through the duct. These will over time (years) wear the duct away by abrasion.

Flow accelerated erosion.
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Working...
              X