X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging in the cold

I have to have two Trane split systems charged and running for a customer in order to get paid and its febuary and rarely gets above freezing where im at. Any ideas?

The one system is a 15 Ton dual circut with no refrigerant in the condenser and i cannot find a charging chart it has sight glasses and txv's on both circuts

the second unit is a 5 ton with refrigerant in the condenser with a sight glass and a txv

Both units are R22 i have both units wired with the crankcase heaters on to keep the oil in the compressors warm. i also have plastic to cover the condenser coils so they cant dump heat i just dont know how to acurately charge both systems so if it gets warm and i cant be there to add refrigerant when that hapens i dont get a earfull
    "Do it so you can go to sleep at night."

Re: Charging in the cold

block off condenser coil with the plastic until your maintaining 225 pound head and charge to 15 to 20 degree subcooling

Comment

That should work, however being that they are Trane units you should be able to call Trane and get the wight needed to charge accurately. They should be able to provide that info back quite a few years.

Comment

Some larger Trane systems spec 11-16 on the subcooling, 15-20 is an excellent rule of tumb. But as previously stated these are design specs and the condensor will need to be blocked with the fan(s) running while maintaining about 225. The charge will be close to spot on!

Cheers

Comment

if there is no head controllers they will not cool anyhow.Tell customer you can get it close but will need to return in spring.

Comment

Thanks for all the help i have both units up and running the large one has a head pressure control and cools great, it was 25 out the other day and it was running. the system is controlled by a Varitrack computer that trys to keep the ductwork at a set tempature so the condenser runs year round.
            "Do it so you can go to sleep at night."

Comment

Originally posted by servicefitter View Post
              if there is no head controllers they will not cool anyhow.Tell customer you can get it close but will need to return in spring.
              how do u get that they wont cool? they will probably freeze up later if there running without winter controls but if its 25 i bet he atleast has hot gas by pass in order to maintain supply air discharge temp

Comment

hot gas is head controller (one of a few) turn your air on in 25 temp and see how long it cools. been in bizz a long time. this is elementary.

Comment

yeah but he said its running he has to have something especially using DX to control discharge air temp... i hate those systems anyway but i am guessing that this system is not constant volume

Comment

The safe way is to weigh the charge in.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X