X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrier 96 gas furnace

I know this is kind of a ramdom question but I have to ask. I'm a plumber but I don't know much about HVAC. I had a Carrier 96% nat gas furnace installed about 2 years ago and it's worked fine. Does anybody have an opinion about the long term service life of a furnace like this. Any problems common to carrier products. I've been on the plumbing forum for a while and just noticed the hvac forum. I know I have plenty of opinions about plumbing fixtures and would be interested in an HVAC pros opinion of Carrier. Should have asked two years ago.

Re: Carrier 96 gas furnace

I have a Carrier furnace installed approximately 24 years ago. It's in central Florida, so it doesn't get the use like a furnace used in the northern part of the country.

Comment

Carrier is a excellent choice of furnace and with proper check ups you will get many years of confort and reliability out of it.

Comment

Carrier is a good product, but they do tend to over engineer there products which leads to more repairs.

Comment

Its all how to take care of it. Change the filter once a month .Buy the cheap ones. also all furnaces brake down if they didnt it would put service people out of work

Comment

Originally posted by pioneer1 View Post
            Carrier is a good product, but they do tend to over engineer there products which leads to more repairs.
            I bet you sell Goodman Equipment...

Really though, ALL of the high efficiency equipment is more tempermental than lower efficiency equipment due mostly to air switches IMO. Variable speed motors are not cheap either...

Take care of your equipment and have it serviced twice a year and change your filters at least monthly and you will enjoy years of trouble free service.

Disclaimer: I'm a Carrier Dealer

Okie
            Last edited by OkieBill; 04-16-2009, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bacskcah View Post
              I know this is kind of a ramdom question but I have to ask. I'm a plumber but I don't know much about HVAC. I had a Carrier 96% nat gas furnace installed about 2 years ago and it's worked fine. Does anybody have an opinion about the long term service life of a furnace like this. Any problems common to carrier products. I've been on the plumbing forum for a while and just noticed the hvac forum. I know I have plenty of opinions about plumbing fixtures and would be interested in an HVAC pros opinion of Carrier. Should have asked two years ago.
              Carrier rules, we see about 20 year lifespans in NY - most can last longer, but why hobble a 20 year old unit along when it's lived through so many northeast winters? Keep flame sensors clean, check hot surface ignitors, personally I prefer thicker media filters (4" or 5", or the Spaceguard accordion style ones). The newest generation of UV and electronic/mechanical filter combos seem to be quite nice as well. Far cry from the old bug-zapper style ones.

I work for a Goodman/Amana/Lennox/Aireflow dealer - and when I do a job on my own, it's always Payne, Bryant or Carrier. My 2 cents, for whatever that's worth.

Comment

When it comes to gas furnaces Train/American Standard, Lennox, Rheem, Carrier, and yes even York; they are all neck and neck and come with their own problems. One thing to look into closely is the AFUE rating, some models may boast a certian rating but when it comes to government kick backs it may not measure up. For the most part change the filters regularly, and leave it alone till it stops working properly. Ya I know there are many arguments to be made on both sides of the last comment, but in my world; 95% of the time a furnace breaks down because of poor filter cleanliness, bad install, or simply because they were not designed to last forever.

Comment

Working...
                X