X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manometers- Digital

Do any of you use the digital manometers or still the old faithful u-tube? I am considering a digital one and wanted to hear recommendations. Which unit do you like?
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Re: Manometers- Digital

I had a digital once. Loaned it out to a coworker then he was fired and never saw it again. I've had a Utube for years but I prefer the Yellow Jacket dial gauge just cause it fits in my bag. It's not as accurate as the others though.

What's a new digital cost these days?

Comment

The yellow jacket around 102.00 The other I have been looking at is a UEI 150 it is around 80.00. I am not familiar with either and find it odd they don't come with some sort of case.
      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I have the uei em 150...I saw it at a pawn shop for 40 bucks and passed. As per Murphy's law, 2 weeks later I was on the far side of town and needed a manometer in a pinch. Forked over 200 beak for it.
        West Trail Mechanical Ltd
        Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Products/T...CategoryID=295

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Products/T...CategoryID=296

http://www.ueitest.com/product-em151.html

the uei is the electronic one I have used, they also have a differential pressure model, but generally i prefer my dwyer u-tube, I always trust it to be accurate.

Comment

u tube the digital can be a pain,lots of em auto shut down and when turned back on auto zero while connected ,so you have to disconect and reconnect

Comment

i hate the slack manometers. The liquid dye is a pain to keep from spilling .

Water manometers are not accurate as liquid dye manometers because the of the specific gravity of the dye. The dye is less resistive to press so it gives more close reading.

That's why I use a digital.
              Just slow, not stupid

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                I had a digital once. Loaned it out to a coworker then he was fired and never saw it again. I've had a Utube for years but I prefer the Yellow Jacket dial gauge just cause it fits in my bag. It's not as accurate as the others though.

What's a new digital cost these days?
                I use the same gauge as plumberscrack and it meets my needs.

Comment

If you think you are in the ballpark and don't really care about the actual number then a digital will work fine, but if you are doing real troubleshooting and not just swapping parts then a slack tube is the only way to go.

Same as electricians, they will not believe a digital meter if their gut tells them otherwise and will go to the truck for a Wiggly or Triplett 310.

s.g. of dye?

Comment

Originally posted by 4leafclover View Post
                    If you think you are in the ballpark and don't really care about the actual number then a digital will work fine, but if you are doing real troubleshooting and not just swapping parts then a slack tube is the only way to go.

Same as electricians, they will not believe a digital meter if their gut tells them otherwise and will go to the truck for a Wiggly or Triplett 310.

s.g. of dye?
                    I don't know an electrician in their right mind that would trust a Wiggins over a digital voltmeter When I was in the Air Force the safety folks came and gathered up all of our "Wiggys" and threw them away becase to many folks were getting shocked using them (not registering voltage properly).

As far as calling folks who use digitals part swappers...Really not a good first impression

I will put a properly calibrated and maintained digital over a slacktube any day unfortunately the real world sometimes says that in the long run simpler is better not because of the devices resolution but because of a divices ability to maintain it's calibration.

In the case of a U-tube manometer calibration is not an issue. (Standard Manometer fluid Specific Gravity is .826 FYI)

Okie
                    Last edited by OkieBill; 04-19-2009, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X