X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boiler noise

I dont have an L8124 i have the L8148 which doesnt have a low limit. Maybe the key is that the pipe the sensor is on isnt insulated. Either way im going to measure the pipes temp with a infared thermometer and see if its close to what the tekmars sensor is reading. Maybe its picking up to much of the rooms temp to offset the reading and make it colder than what it really is.

If you want read through this post. I also have pics of the schematics that i drew up on there. That way you can see how its wired.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21950
    Slant fin S-120-DP boiler
    L8148E aquastat
    3 V8043E zone valves
    Tekmar 256 Boiler control

Comment

set stat at 180 boiler way to hot.

Comment

Originally posted by servicefitter View Post
        set stat at 180 boiler way to hot.
        Close the auto air vents they suck air into the system, attach the temp sensor with a hose clamp and insulate with armaflex
        "Do it so you can go to sleep at night."

Comment

I talked to the guy at Tekmar today. there tech department is pretty helpfull. He told me to move the indor sensor from where i had it which was right on the thick wall pipe that comes out of the boiler to the 3/4 copper pipe right after the circ pump. I told him that the 256 was reading 156 and the boiler gauge said 175. I also used an infared temp gun and it was about 150 where the senso was. So i know that the sensor is reading right but there is about 25 degrees differants between the Tekmar and the boiler reading.

So basically if the 256 shut the boiler down at 180 the boiler would probably read over 200. So moving the sensor might make a differance. He said the thinner copper pipe heats up faster than the heavy gauge pipe so the temp swings will be better.

He said something that i might have a flow problem too. He thinks that the system isnt circulating fast enough or enough volume So the colder water in the pipes dont cool the boiler down enough because it might not be circulating right. Any sense to this???

Either way i moved the sensor to the other pipe and re insulated it.

Just an out of the blue question. is the circ pump variable speed? Or does it just run at a constant speed/volume?
          L8148E aquastat
          3 V8043E zone valves

Comment

what kind of circulator(s) do you have? if its a Taco "00, its a constant speed circuator.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Its a Taco 007-F4 circ pump
              L8148E aquastat
              3 V8043E zone valves

Comment

it runs at a constant speed.

Comment

When these pumps fail do they just stop or do you notice other symptoms first?

The reason im asking is when we first bought the house we tested teh heat. It got hot as hell in the one room in a matter of a minute or so. After a winter or 2 i noticed it would take a long time for the heat to get the room warm. Since than i have replaced 2 of the 3 zone valves. One last year and one this year. because they werent turning the pump/boiler on when they would open. So im curious if the pump is going bad. Maybe its not circulating enough water like its designed to do. Even when its on its very quiet. I guess But i seem to remember being able to hear the pump running when it was on.
                  L8148E aquastat
                  3 V8043E zone valves

Comment

my experience with tacos is that they get progressively noisy as they fail. i have one now that should fail in another year or two. if you got heat in one zone and now its less than adequate, it may be air in the line, which also causes noise. a friend had the same thing happen. we were all set to replace his zone valve when, for the he!! of it, we bled the offending zone. end on no heat problem. circulators will not move air.

Comment

Working...
                    X