X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiler noise

I recently noticed the boiler making a weird noise. Since its right off the downstairs living room its not that hard to hear it.
    It happens when the boiler is fired to heat the water.

The best way to describe it is that it sounds like a bunch of marbles bouncing around in water.
    Slant fin S-120-DP boiler
    L8148E aquastat
    3 V8043E zone valves
    Tekmar 256 Boiler control

Re: Boiler noise

Originally posted by lorunner1213 View Post
    I recently noticed the boiler making a weird noise. Since its right off the downstairs living room its not that hard to hear it.
    It happens when the boiler is fired to heat the water.

The best way to describe it is that it sounds like a bunch of marbles bouncing around in water.

That noise is steam bubbles bursting off the bottom of your tank. This usually is caused by scale formed on the heating surface on the inside of your tank. Have you flushed the scale out of your tank? Try that and see if it goes away. It can also be a condition of over firing but the control at the factory are adjusted to avoid that.

Comment

before you do anything to the boiler, do you know anything about thermal shock?

this can crack your boiler.

Vince

Comment

Hmmm sounds complicated.

I have had the system drained several times in the past year. Im doing a bathroom remodel so i had to take teh baseboard in teh bath out of the loop. The other time was to replace a bad zone valve.

I should also add that i installed a Tekmar boiler control 256 just before winter hit.

Could that be the cause of the over firing?

What exactly is the cause of thermal shock?

I should also add that my 3rd zone is for the downstairs of the house. water pipes run under or through (not sure which) the concrete slab for the floor to get from one baseboard to the other.

I just checked and i dont hear it as much when the 2 upstairs zones are open.
        Last edited by lorunner1213; 03-04-2009, 10:12 PM.
        L8148E aquastat
        3 V8043E zone valves

Comment

i have the same make of boiler, only its a 150. mine uses circulators on all zones and an intellidyne HW+ boiler control which theoretically does for me what your tekmar does for you. did you notice the sound before you added the tekmar? did you drain and refill the boiler or was it done by someone else? does the system have an air purger? do you have CI radiators or copper baseboard?
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Im pretty sure the sound wasnt there before i put the Tekmar in. I drained the system myself a few times. I also noticed it wasnt really there the other night when the nightime temp whent up to the lower 30's. when it was in the teens it was more pronounced.

I did notice that when i drained it the first time it kinda had a smell like coolant of some sort. I didnt think anything of it and figured that since the system isnt ever down for long periods of time in the cold it would be no big deal to just fill it with water.

There are a few air bleeds on the baseboards. There copper pipe with fins on them. I actually replaced one of them with a newer automatic bleeder.

Frankenstein was talking about over firing. Maybe since the factor controls on teh side of the relay box gets its temp from that probe that is in the well. And since the tekmar just has the sensor thats on the outlet pipe from the boiler that the temp differances are causing the boiler to run to hot on colder days. I checked the gauge on the side of the boiler that night and the pressure was a little below 15lbs but the temp was up around 220 or so.
            L8148E aquastat
            3 V8043E zone valves

Comment

220 degrees means your making steam.

Vince

Comment

Sounds like the pump isn't moving water through the boiler. Double check your wiring. Maybe the zone valve is only partially opening. How close is the Tekmar sensor to the boiler? Perform an Ohm test on the system sensor. Your boiler limit should be set no higher than 200. I've had auto air vents pull air back into the heating system creating airlocks.

Comment

is this the tekmar you have?
                  http://www.tekmarcontrols.com/litera...robat/d256.pdf
                  if yes, you haven't mentioned how you handled the outdoor sensor. it is connected, isn't it? if it isn't, one of the key inputs to the unit is missing and would probably signifificantly affect its operation. as vince mentions, at 220 deg, you are making steam and you may be hearing a form of "flashover", which happens when live steam meets cooler water. it happens in industrial boilers, but could, i suppose, happen in a residential application. it is not healthy for a boiler. what is the temp setting of the high limit on the 8148e? assuming you have copper baseboard, it probably shouldn't be higher than 180-190. while i understand the system may have air vents, does it have an air purger, something like this:
                  http://www.pexsupply.com/product_dtl...otherm&cID=311
                  or this:
                  http://www.drillspot.com/products/78...443_Air_Purger
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

it's too fard'gin hot!!

steam explosions kill!!

Vince

Comment

I suspect that the Tekmar re-set is either not properly wired as it should be breaking through the high limit, or it is improperly set. Easy enough to check out. With the boiler running crank the high limit down, the burner should shut off slightly below the boiler temperature or right at it. If not than you have it wired incorrectly. 220 is way way beyond what the Tekmar control would be looking for unless you have the design set way below zero and it is damn cold outside. I have the Taco PC700 on my Buderus and even if it gets to -10 outside the control is maintaining around 185. You might also check to see that the thermistors are good and have not been damaged and that they are wired into the control properly. If the boiler thermistor is not "feeling" the heat it will grossly override the boiler. Still the boiler high limit should shut it down so make sure you have not by passed the boiler limit.
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah thats the Tekmar i have. The 256 is actually on the side of the boiler itself.

The outside sensor is hooked up as well. Its ran with about 8 feet of wire to the outside of the north facing wall. The inside sensor only has about 2 feet of wire.

The high limit is set for 175 degrees on the Tekmar. Or i should say the target temp is set at that. The minimum is set at 140.

The outdoor design is set for 10 degrees F. it usually doesnt get much colder than that here on its coldes day.

Indoor room temp is set for 70 degrees.

and the terminal unit is set on for fin-tube convector.

I have the water temp sensor right on the outlet pipe where it comes out of the boiler . Which is about 12 inches before the circ. pump.

I was originally told to turn the high limit of the L8148 as high as it will go. The reason i was told was because the tekmar will now be controlling that. Should i lower it back down to 20 where it was before i installed the Tekmar?

I have a bleeder like this.
                        Last edited by lorunner1213; 03-08-2009, 03:03 PM.
                        L8148E aquastat
                        3 V8043E zone valves

Comment

Yes, drop the L8124 high back down to around 190. However, something is still wrong because the reset control should not be letting the boiler run up that high. Again, check the wiring connections or else you have a bad thermistor.
                          sigpic

Comment

Ok the display is showing 136 on the tekmar and the boiler temp is 150. Is it possible that the differance between the tekmar and the boiler is because the 256 sensor is mounted to the outside of the pipe and the boiler gauge is getting a better reading due to its placement?

I guess teh best way to make sure the 256 sensor is right would be to get an infared thermometer adn take a reading of the pipe. than compare the 2.

So should the L8148 never have been changed from the preset temp?
                            L8148E aquastat
                            3 V8043E zone valves

Comment

You should leave the L8124 High limit at around 190-200. Remember that the Tekmar re-set is going to handle the limit function unless it fails and then the 8124 will be a back up. Did you disable the low limit side of the aquastat? The best thing to do would be to replace the L8124 with a L8148 and cold start the boiler. I still think something is wired wrong though. As for the sensor. As long as it it is mounted on the supply, close to the boiler and insulated, it should be accurate enough.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X