X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this work?

i've been trying to come up with an idea for a fanless range hood vent.

i made this drawing and would like some feed back.

the distance from the hood to the vent termination would only be about 3 feet maximun.

Vince
    Attached Files

Re: Would this work?

You would not want the vent pipe to come into the stack (wind pipe) at a 90 degree angle. Lower the angle to get a venturi effect going which will help draw out through the vent and help prevent wind from blowing down your vent as well.

Okie

Comment

If I was going to try that I would leave the top pipe full size and then run the smaller up into it and a elbow and face it down wind, it should create a venture effect and suck on the smaller pipe.

but I would think with the heat differential you have just a 3 or 4 inch pipe going up and out side would draw like chimney would, put a damper on it so one can shut it off when not using it,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

umm this is a vent for a range hood? you do know that these hoods have a powerd fan yes? and that by code you have to have a flapper on the hood vent to prevent any downdrafts and to keep the birds and squirls out right?

take a peek at something like this: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

no need to over complicate this its prety streight forward let the powerd fan do all the pushing or id you like use a gravity vent:

http://www.indiamart.com/airierindia...ntilators.html

Comment

i've seen those wind turbines before. but those things don't last very long up here because of the wind.

this would be for a cabin where the amount of power will be limited. off the grid as it were.

i came up with the idea when i was cleaning a carburator for my ATV. but i'm thinking that i may have to modify the design a little.

Vince

Comment

Next the customer will complain about water noises from p-trap.

Comment

Vince make it work like a wind vane so it is always pointed into the wind. Let the Horz. piece rotate and put a tail on the downstream side so it will keep it turned into the wind.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

LOL people will think hes got a Howitzer on the roof pointing at them LOL.

Seriously if its a low power sitch then go with the gravity vent it'll catch the wind in whatever direction its blowing and you can get a good one these days you just have to look. OR (shhhhhh secrets being spilled) look up a resteraunt hood manufacturor and see if you can get a grav vent from them, All SS and shiney and made to last forever or untill the insurence fire

Comment

Working...
                X