X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater for new shop

First, I apologize because I know this topic has been covered, but I want to explain my specific situation. I am building a new shop and need to decide how to heat it. I will try to give all the relevant information.

Structure: Will be a 500 sf footprint with 10' high walls. Steeply pitched roof w/ a dormer and stairs leading to an upstairs finishing/storage area. 2x6 walls w/ R21 insulation. 10'x8' garage door w/ approx R9 insulation. The roof will have spray foam insulation (unknown R-value).

Environment: Portland Oregon. Winter can get somewhat cold and always wet. Typically we can expect a few cold spells w/ the highs in the 20s. Mostly winter nights in the mid 30s -40 and highs in the 40s. Nothing too cold too prolonged. It is a shop - with dust and everything that goes with woodworking.

Desires: I would like to have a thermostatically controlled heating source. I want to make sure the temperature stays above 35 w/ the ability to reach 60 both downstairs and up. I would like to keep the price below $300. I am able to go higher than that if needed.

I will not be able to use natural gas or wood burning stoves. I'd rather not have propane. I guess that leaves me leaning to electrical heaters, but haven't ruled out a floor radiant heat (but am within several days of that no longer being an option) with a closed system and small electric water heater.

So my questions are: what range of BTU's should I be looking at? Would radiant floor heating be overly costly (both installation and energy usage) for what I' looking for? Would baseboard heaters (or wall heaters) suffice - or even be safe in a shop?

Thanks for any advise and web sites you can give.

Re: Heater for new shop

You won't get any heating system for under $300? typo? There are electric boilers out now that would suffice but you are still looking at having to install exhaust & make up air. More mula.

Comment

Originally posted by NJOY PLBG View Post
      You won't get any heating system for under $300? typo? There are electric boilers out now that would suffice but you are still looking at having to install exhaust & make up air. More mula.

Pipe dream I guess. I was thinking that with a small, well-insulated structure w/ limited heating needs, I could find a inexpensive alternative. Maybe just too many years spent in the South.

Comment

A 10kw electric hanger would do the job. Youre probably going to have to double your budget to $600 though.

Andy

Comment

Thanks Andy. I can live with $600. Do you have a suggested brand? And do you think I will need an addtional heater upstairs?

-Chris

Comment

We installed 2 of these in a 3 car garage to keep it warm, maybe the same could work for you - http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90010+502181

Comment

Originally posted by Badabing View Post
              We installed 2 of these in a 3 car garage to keep it warm, maybe the same could work for you - http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90010+502181
              Link didn't work for me.

Comment

The link worked for me - but took me to a page that said it wasn't available in my area. Must be a cold weather item.

Comment

hmmm... sorry, you can go to homedepot.com and search for this - Fahrenheat 12 In. x 16 In., 240 Volt, Portable Heavy-Duty Workshop Heater

Model NPH4A

$265.00/EA Each

Comment

I found it, but had to change my location to CT. Guess it isn't an option for me. Thanks though.

Comment

You can get a Dayton from Grainger that would do you just fine. Otherwise Modine is a good brand name. You might be able to find one on Ebay too. I dont do any electric furnaces, but I dont think theres many restrictions placed on re-selling them.

If youve got enough of an opening between the first and second floor you shouldnt need an additional heater. With the info youve provided a 10kw (34,140btu) heater should run you out of there.

Andy

Comment

i don't know if this will help you get good heat to the second floor but this is what i've been thinking about for my cabin.

Vince
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X