Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evaporator drip pan...

Hi guys,

I will start with the stipulation that I know very little about A/C units, which complicates my problem quite a bit. I had an overflow from my secondary drip pan a few days ago due to a clogged drain line. I managed to clear the line and watched the unit very closely. The drip seemed to have abated and I wrote it off to an unusually humid week. Over the weekend I found swollen sheetrock tape at a joint in the ceiling directly beneath my A/C unit. Swearing all the way, I went into the attic to inspect the problem. The nipple where my pvc drain connects to the primary pan under the evaporator coils appears to be extremely corroded and water is dripping from around the drain nipple, running down the edge of the unit and missing the secondary pan. I'm curious, but not quite feeling up to opening the evaporator "box" to see what's going on in there.

I'm expecting to hear a serviceman tell me that the pan(s) need to be replaced. I've dealt with some shady operators in the past and would like to get some opinions about what the problem could be, what repairs would be necessary and how to spot a gouge. The A/C functions well; this water problem was not accompanied by flagging performance, etc. etc. Nothing notable going on other than a condensation evacuation problem, as far as I can tell.

Help? Please?

Re: Evaporator drip pan...

It sounds like you have identified your own problem...

By what you have described your evaporator (which includes the pan) will need to be replaced. An attempt at a repair will be a waste of money in the long run.

It has been my experience that most folks that end up dealing with "shady operators" bring it on themselves by attempting to save a couple of bucks or believe they are being gouged because they don't think it should cost that much.

The way forward for you is to contact 3 licensed HVAC professionals in your area and get estimates. Than pick the company you are most comfortable with ( Notice I did not say pick the cheapest company)

Good luck,

Okie

Comment

Re: Evaporator drip pan...

Without seeing a picture it would be hard to tell exactly. Is the Evap very old and therefor a metal pan? I heard once metal can rust so give up now if it is. An attic location is not the place to risk those issues. If it's plastic, Cut out the section at the evap drain outlet and replace the fittings. Use dope AND tape which I think most all plumbers would agree with.
      Most important! Whether it's repairable or it must be replaced, try and replace or add to the existing seconday to pevent this from happening again. The secondary should be piped into the drain as well and always use a float switch tied into the 24 volt circuit. Use R (red). That way it it overflows for any reason, the fan will also shut off alerting you faster to the problem.
      In the water overflow arena of this world, a cool device to pick up would be a sump pump water alarm. $10.00 and a 9volt. If it sees water it'll beep at you for a couple days (in case your not home). Saved me twice at my 2nd floor laundry.
      Hope this helps!
      RJ

Comment

Working...
      X