Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exhausts for clothes dryers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Exhausts for clothes dryers

    I looked a job today that had three industrial size clothes dryers.
    The brand was maytag and the hot air exhausts were near the bottom of the machines.
    The outlet is about 4"
    My question is can I join all three together or do I need to run each one out separately.

    Simon

  • #2
    Re: Exhausts for clothes dryers

    dryers should all vent separately.

    the reason is because there is no check valve to keep the exhaust from 1 blowing into the others. plus you'll get condensation in them if they were common.

    even large commercial units all vent separately.

    make sure to use smooth bore metal pipe and an aluminum flex to connect it with. no plastic flex.

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Exhausts for clothes dryers

      Don't use screws to fasten the duct together. It'll snag the lint. I saw pvc pipe for the dryer vent in Africa and it worked great and has lasted for 4+ years. Contractors wrapped bare copper wire around the pipe and grounded it for static electricity.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Exhausts for clothes dryers

        Commercial dryers can common vent.
        Your equipment manufacturer will list how they want it done.

        Most just use a simple barametric(weighted) damper at the outlet of each dryer.

        Here is a good basic read...

        http://www.geappliances.com/commerci...nting_spec.pdf

        Okie

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Exhausts for clothes dryers

          What is your equivalent of our mechanical code? You should be looking there for answers in addition to here on the forum where most of us are located in the USA.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

          https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Exhausts for clothes dryers

            Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
            Commercial dryers can common vent.
            Your equipment manufacturer will list how they want it done.

            Most just use a simple barametric(weighted) damper at the outlet of each dryer.

            Here is a good basic read...

            http://www.geappliances.com/commerci...nting_spec.pdf

            Okie
            that's pretty cool.

            i've seen a drawing of something like that except it was used to vent gas HWH/HWT in an apartment block.

            my instructure said it's used a lot in EU.

            Vince

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Exhausts for clothes dryers

              Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              What is your equivalent of our mechanical code? You should be looking there for answers in addition to here on the forum where most of us are located in the USA.
              I don't know that there is a mechanical code for this sort of work here.
              I have taken a " Phone a friend " approach and spoken with friends in HVAC and there suggestion is to run each one separately into a common dampener box with a removable filter, then out through louvre vent with vermin mesh.

              Simon

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Exhausts for clothes dryers

                Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                Don't use screws to fasten the duct together. It'll snag the lint. I saw pvc pipe for the dryer vent in Africa and it worked great and has lasted for 4+ years. Contractors wrapped bare copper wire around the pipe and grounded it for static electricity.
                Plastic pipe of any kind not allowed here...fire code.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Exhausts for clothes dryers

                  I know back in North Carolina if the dryer vent ran under slab the mechanical contractors would run it in 4" PVC.

                  I also lived in an apartment once where the upstairs dryer was on a common vent with my dryer, i'd open my dryer door after they'd run theirs and find condensation all over the inside of the machine, really bothersome if there were clothes in there. I got to where i'd leave the door open between uses to keep it from smelling.
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Exhausts for clothes dryers

                    Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                    I know back in North Carolina if the dryer vent ran under slab the mechanical contractors would run it in 4" PVC.

                    I also lived in an apartment once where the upstairs dryer was on a common vent with my dryer, i'd open my dryer door after they'd run theirs and find condensation all over the inside of the machine, really bothersome if there were clothes in there. I got to where i'd leave the door open between uses to keep it from smelling.
                    That's what's wrong with having a common vent.

                    I know it does not apply where you are but if you want to read the requirements here you can view the NJ MEchanical Code online here;

                    http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/newjersey/

                    See section 504 for clothes dryer venting. It discusses both residential and commercial installations (section 504.7) but for the most part throws you back to the manufacturers installation instructions in addition to requiring an exhaust fan that is interlocked to each dryer such that the fan will run whenever any of the connected dryers is running.
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 05-17-2009, 06:22 AM. Reason: Added link to Mech Code online.
                    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

                    https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X