X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ants and copper?

I was checkin' out some new items on the market yesterday at my local Johnstone Supply when I came across something very interesting. I was looking at the label on a box of this new ACR leak sealant and it said it sealed all types of microleaks including ones caused by a formicary......which I later found out was an ant nest. Anybody out there ever heard of ants causing leaks in copper? I would love to hear some feedback on this.

Later, JONESY

Re: Ants and copper?

Yep, burried low pressure line. Ants built a nest around it.
    sigpic

Comment

is their waste corrosive to copper? thats kind of an interesting thought.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I believe some ants secrete (excrete?) an anal discharge enzyme that may be corrosive. I've never heard of this being a problem but I guess in some area where ants are prevalent it could be.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          I believe some ants secrete (excrete?) an anal discharge enzyme that may be corrosive. I've never heard of this being a problem but I guess in some area where ants are prevalent it could be.

Only here could I log on to find a conversation about corrosive anal ant discharge (say that three times fast).

This site is the best!!!

Comment

Ants secrete formic acid, to digest plant materials. It will attack copper, and copper does not do well in contact with organic acids.

Comment

Guppies!

OK, fellas! Back the truck up and take the hook out of your mouth!

Formicary corrosion has absolutely NOTHING TO DO WITH ANTS!

It is referred to in the scientific community as "ants nest corrosion" because of the microscopic appearance and structure of the molecules involved. It is caused by a complex chemical situation, having NOTHING to do with ant poop!'

http://www.corrosionlab.com/papers/NACE2000.pdf

Comment

Working...
              X