Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

What do you think of Geothermal

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What do you think of Geothermal

    As a professional what do you think of geothermal as a heating/cooling soution for residential and light comercal uses
    "Do it so you can go to sleep at night."

  • #2
    Re: What do you think of Geothermal

    Originally posted by ms40 View Post
    as a professional what do you think of geothermal as a heating/cooling soution for residential and light comercal uses





    hahahah

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: What do you think of Geothermal

      I see your hahaha and raise you two haha's

      Geo is possibly the biggest waste of money possible. No matter what ANYONE tells you, the cost/payback ratio is just not there. At this point it's all voodoo economics. In the future, when the geo manufacturers get their crap together, maybe things will change but for now all it takes is about 15 minutes of research and number crunching to invalidate any and all claims.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: What do you think of Geothermal

        NHMaster--You scare the hell out of me! I'm agreeing with you more and more!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: What do you think of Geothermal

          nh. spot on. nobody can show me that geo pays for it self. nobody. i have a friend that has a loop system that she said was paying for itself. i asked her who supplied material ? who paid for digging the trench? she was an excavator. she said she did. did it when work was slow so it was free. plastic pipe was free because they were rips. i said please tell you didn't make connections out in yard? 3. how deep did you put in the pipe. 3'. 3' is the frost line here. it didn't work well in the winter and spring. i told her that if it were me i'd invest in some no burst. breid

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: What do you think of Geothermal

            Yea and that's pretty typical. People that either do the excavation themselves or get the materials at cost. So what? The average Joe doesn't have those connections.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: What do you think of Geothermal

              That's what I figured I have a compeititor saying its the next best thing since sliced bread, all I wanted was a conformation of my beleifs outside my reigon, thanks
              "Do it so you can go to sleep at night."

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: What do you think of Geothermal

                Sounds like none of you guys have ever installed Geo before. Up until this year my calculations have showed a 13 year payback when comparing natural gas and 6 years for LP. Starting in January '09 the Obama plan provides a 30% Federal Tax credit. Thats 30% of the installed cost the customer can write off. This gets the payback down to roughly 10 years for Natural gas and 4 for LP.

                My numbers are figured using $1.10/therm NG, $2.10/gallon LP and 11 cents/kwh electric. The utility conpany of one of the rural areas I work in will provide a CT meter to monitor the geo usage seperately and will bill winter electric at 5.4 cents per kwh. This gets their payback under 3 years as they were paying $300 per month just for LP. This same utility company also gives a one time $1650 rebate to the customer, and they give me $200 per install. Another utility company I deal with regularly gives $2000 to the customer.

                In my area Geo works and it does pay back.

                Andy

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: What do you think of Geothermal

                  Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
                  Sounds like none of you guys have ever installed Geo before. Up until this year my calculations have showed a 13 year payback when comparing natural gas and 6 years for LP. Starting in January '09 the Obama plan provides a 30% Federal Tax credit. Thats 30% of the installed cost the customer can write off. This gets the payback down to roughly 10 years for Natural gas and 4 for LP.

                  My numbers are figured using $1.10/therm NG, $2.10/gallon LP and 11 cents/kwh electric. The utility conpany of one of the rural areas I work in will provide a CT meter to monitor the geo usage seperately and will bill winter electric at 5.4 cents per kwh. This gets their payback under 3 years as they were paying $300 per month just for LP. This same utility company also gives a one time $1650 rebate to the customer, and they give me $200 per install. Another utility company I deal with regularly gives $2000 to the customer.

                  In my area Geo works and it does pay back.

                  Andy


                  LOL We have installed Quite a few And AGAIN HAHAHA One ladys electric bill wasd like 700 her first month Now come on.....Wheres the pay back?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: What do you think of Geothermal

                    You can LOL all you want to. Either it wasnt sized right or installed right. Takes a big man though to admit that. Kudos.

                    Andy

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: What do you think of Geothermal

                      Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
                      You can LOL all you want to. Either it wasnt sized right or installed right. Takes a big man though to admit that. Kudos.

                      Andy



                      HAHA I'm not going to rebuttle to that just a simple LOL!!! You from around here???

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: What do you think of Geothermal

                        I suggest you look at an air source hybrid system, 1/2 the install cost of geo and serious energy savings. heat pump needs tyo be 18seer/9hspf or greater for max savings.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X