Automotive A/C question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automotive A/C question

I wonder if anyone here services a/c on cars as I have a related question. I have a car that appears to have an a/c leak. I have not done anything about it for 2 years but I decided to finally fix it. As a first step I was going to charge it with some R134a with a UV dye for inspection with a black light. Anyway, today I tried to hook up my manifold guage set (Robinair) and for some reason I am unable to seat the low side port - it just won't go on. The high side fits fine. I've charged this car before with these guages and never had any problem. Inspection shows nothing obvious.

I wondered if anyone here could suggest what the matter night be.

Re: Automotive A/C question

switch sides if suction hose won't go on high side port. suction hose is problem. if it will try high side hose on suction port. suction port is problem. hoses have little gaskets in the end of hose that need replacement, sometimes. also a little refer oil never hurt them either. breid

Comment

The high side and the low side cannot be swapped - they are different sizes. The connectors are a "quick connect" type - not a screw on. They are screw ons on the manifold gauge itself.

Some oil may be a good idea. I assume some PAG oil would be the thing to use.

Comment

the o-ring on your quick disconnect is either out of position or semi swolen.

try removing or replacing it. also when the o-ring is out, it should fit pretty easy.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Yes it turns out Plumber Rick is correct - it was the o-ring. I was not aware there was one there until I looked after seeing Plumber Rick's reply. The ring I guess must have got nicked slightly while trying to put it on the first time and there was a tiny amount of material in the way. I took the ring out and cleaned out the little shred that was in the way.

The fitting goes on fine without the o-ring.

Now trying to put back the ring is a big pain. Any tips?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            the o-ring on your quick disconnect is either out of position or semi swolen.

try removing or replacing it. also when the o-ring is out, it should fit pretty easy.

rick.
            Yup - I agree!!!

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
            Yes it turns out Plumber Rick is correct -?
            When is he not

Comment

Well I got the o-ring back on after some messing around and was able to recharge the a/c. It still is kind of hard to get the fitting to seat so I probably ought to get a replacement o-ring from Robinair.

Thanks to Plumber Rick for help on this one.

Comment

Working...
              X