X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat pump operation

I just installed a RUUD 18seer/9.4 hspf heat pump on a Ruud mod furnace, I love the 2 stage cooling with dehumid but it was cool here this weekend and the heat pump kicked in, the line set was fastened to the ductwork and there was enough vibration in the line set to rattle my vents! Is considerable vibration in the linset normal on heating operation?

Re: Heat pump operation

no. breid...............

Comment

Attached lineset to ductwork???

I bet if you can seperate that contact your noise issues will be improved.

Comment

find out why it only rattles on heat. you need a hvac person. i'm sorry but i can't see it from here. breid..................

Comment

High Temperature / High Pressure Vapor going to the evaporator can be a bit louder sounding especially for people who are not used to heatpump operation...

The sound will be amplified by attaching the lineset to the ductwork...

Depending on where the system is at in the Heating process when you observed this issue you could get some serious shakes if for example a faulty defrost board or short in your control wiring caused the reversing valve to kick over while the system was in cooling (this is a very noisy event and will cause some bad vibrations).

If you are not HVAC proficient contact an HVAC Pro who can get his eyes on your issues and get you fixed up

(Don't tell anybody but I am an HVAC guy)

Bill

Comment

I have about a 45 foot line set, it is a 410A system,so is it reasonable that the higher pressure and length of lineset would "amplify" operational vibration/ pulsation?

Comment

Originally posted by furnaceguy View Post
              I have about a 45 foot line set, it is a 410A system,so is it reasonable that the higher pressure and length of lineset would "amplify" operational vibration/ pulsation?

I have never seen one shake / vibrate to the point of distraction without there being another issue (amplification due lineset placement or a reversing valve issue)

How is the lineset secured, what is it secured to, how often is it secured?

Bill

Comment

Most techs strap the suction line (larger line) and zip tie the liquid line to the suction line and in heat mode you have higher pressure and vibration in the suction line so more noise. I bet if you strapped the liquid line it would make noise in cooling mode also.
                "Do it so you can go to sleep at night."

Comment

Working...
                X