Inexpensive heat for garage wood shop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inexpensive heat for garage wood shop

I have a shop in the garage and I am currently heating it with K1 and a small radiant heater. I live in Northern Ohio, so the winters can get a bit chilly. I do not keep heat on all the time, only when I want to work of projects, generally weekends and some of the warmer nights. I do get a bit concerned with wood dust, but fortunately I have not had any problems as of yet.

What would any of you suggest as a good heating system? I do have Natural Gas.

Re: Inexpensive heat for garage wood shop

Search the forums for the "Hot Dawg" heater by Modine.
    You'll find plenty of info on it and other heat sources.

If you go for the Hot Dawg get the the separated combustion model as there is less maintenance and less danger of fumes from finishing getting into the heater as it draws in outside air for combustion.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

bobs right

i have put hot dogs in for all my kids. i don't have a garage. breid..........

Comment

Go to your news stand and pick up this months Family Handyman. It's a garage special and has a great article about heating.

Comment

Thank you, I will certainly check it out.

Comment

Hit plumbing and heating supply houses. Years ago I got a dented Sears 125,000 btu oil fired hot air furnace for $125.00 Ran a copper line to a 55 gal. drum out behind My garage.
            This was Mass. It was AWESOME. check for a sears scratch and dent warehouse in your area.
            New heaters with dented sheet metal go CHEAP!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Radiant tube heaters (superior brand) run 30% more efficient than forced air, sealed combustion so no contamination from wood dust ad the heat is great. Low clearance model only requires 2" top and back and 36" from tube to combustibles in Canada.

Comment

True, but You can't beat the $$$$$ My way! He did say inexpensive!
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far. I appreciate the ideas and will follow up on each of them. I like radiant heat, but it is more expensive. Whatever I end up with it will be either natural gas or electric.

Again thanks

Comment

See if You have a sears scratch and dent store near You. You won't believe the deals!

Comment

If it is an attached garage I would put my money into insulating it better so less heat is needed. The extra insulation will also reduce any heat bleed from your house. I have found that rubber matting makes a big difference in perceived coldness when I am not standing directly on a cold concrete floor. I have a small ceiling fan that I change the rotation on for the winter so it pushes the warm air down and this helps a lot as well.

At my work bench I have a radiant heater from Grainger that just heats the 2x4 foot area where I am working instead of the entire garage. Easy to install and easy to relocate if I choose to rearrange things later.

Comment

100 watt light bulb and a mr. Rogers sweater

Comment

I too have been thinking about heating my garage. A few things I found was if you don't plan on keeping the heat on all the time. It takes a lot longer for a infarred to heat the garage than a forced air. Second as you have found out infarred is much most expensive in the initial cost but cheaper in the long run.

I'm still up in the air about which to get. A decent infarred is around $1K or more and a nice forced air is around $500. The question is how long will it take to recoupe the added expense? 1yr? 5yr? 10yr?

I found this unit at northern tool. Pretty good price. I think Mr. Heater is a good brand. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6363_200316363

Comment

Thank you for the link and your thoughts. Someone else also suggested that I check out some of the major companies for some scratch and dent deals.
                            I think one of the most important things I need to do is get some insulation in the walls and the ceiling. I hesitate because I am thinking in a few years I will need to move to a bigger location, and if I do that then I don't want to spend a lot for the garage workshop.

Comment

Pmarsh0911 I tend to agree with you. I use approx. 2/3 of the garage as a shop and I may be anywhere in it depending on what machines I need to use. I checked out the site for the foam insulation, seems like that may be a good way to go, just evaluating the direction I expect to go over the next few years as well.
                              Last edited by woodcrafter; 10-02-2009, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X