Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IR Thermometers

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    adam, you know that the ir that bill just purchased is brand new. it's either user error

or a flaw in the electronics.

your tubing cutter is just plain worn in.

are we still challenging bill to a tubing cutter race

his stolen miwaukee 12 volt cutter against our #15 ridgid tubing cutter

bill if you can beat me in my own game, i'll buy you a new one

but when you lose, you owe me milkshakes at every meal and yes we will have to compete wednesday so i can stack the shakes up. 3 a day wednesday through sunday afternoon

you in or out

3 pieces of 1/2'', 3- 3/4'' and 3-1''. m,l,k. 9 pieces total to cut.

rick.
    No vises set up, right?

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 09-03-2009, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Rick,they're not made for speed.Anyone can beat'em.
      You want speed?Use a battery circular and carbide blade(better wear eye protection).
      They're for workin in a 18" crawlspace doin a copper repipe.Layin on your belly.Or angle stoppin 10 houses a day in tract work.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
        Mark: How can you dial in emissivity without knowing the actual temperature of the surface to start with

Bill
        It came with a book which told you which rocker pins needed to be set in which position depending on which material you were measuring. If I was checking a A/C I would just set the rockers for painted steel.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          No vises set up, right?

J.C.
          you want in on the contest too

i'll take on bill and adam will take you on.

this will be in the open. free hand. not in a cramped up against the joist work area.

just a speed cutting contest holding the pipe free hand.

adam, what you drinking

it will be like taking candy from a baby

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            you want in on the contest too

i'll take on bill and adam will take you on.

this will be in the open. free hand. not in a cramped up against the joist work area.

just a speed cutting contest holding the pipe free hand.

adam, what you drinking

it will be like taking candy from a baby

rick.
            Actually, none of the contests interest me at all. Hope that doesn't disappoint.

Just thinking about how Mr. Bill will do against you with his power cutter.

Meeting good people with similar interests is the most interesting to me.

J.C.

Comment

Okay guys let's ease up on the kid from the short bus. I have asked you before to respect his limitations.

Thanks-Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                Okay guys let's ease up on the kid from the short bus. I have asked you before to respect his limitations.

Thanks-Mark
                Sorry,
                I forgot again.

Comment

I tried a ridgid one and returned it after only a few days and got a fluke instead. I am very happy with my fluke and use it for everything from checking for hot/cold cross-connections to discharge air temps at ceiling diffusers and radiant tube heaters. It has made lots of troubleshooting tasks easier.

Comment

Originally posted by shock1964 View Post
                    I tried a ridgid one and returned it after only a few days and got a fluke instead. I am very happy with my fluke and use it for everything from checking for hot/cold cross-connections to discharge air temps at ceiling diffusers and radiant tube heaters. It has made lots of troubleshooting tasks easier.
                    Shock, what was the reason for returning the Ridgid and spending twice as much for the Fluke?

Comment

$300.00 Ra tech about 5 years ago. it rocks. Here are some uses You might not think of.
                      Race track ,ferriers hit each hoof while shoeing. High temp.= hoof disease.
                      Large 3 phase motors in factory's. Hit bearing ends. change hot ones before failure.
                      Mine can hook up a lap top to record history of components. MY FAVORITE, when the grandchildren come. Have them hit the freezer, stove ,light bulbs, Grampas BALD HEAD!
                      Try the Kids, they have a ball, and learn. One more,on Large trucks! They hit the radiator cores to find blockages! NO RICK , K-60 WONT HELP HERE!
                      Last edited by toolaholic; 09-07-2009, 10:19 AM. Reason: one more use
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I've got the fluke.

I've found leaks under slabs, both hot water and chilled water. Of course, the sweating floor helped with the chilled leak.

It also saved my arse when I pulled my boat to table rock lake last summer.

I replaced all 4 sets of bearings and races. The morning I left, I couldn't sleep so I got up around 4AM and hit the road.

I stopped 20 mi into the trip and found one hub getting hot. I was laying along the side of the interstate, in the dark with a thunderstorm approaching, trying to figure out what was going on. The last thing I wanted to do was tear down a wheel in the dark. That's when I noticed the temp got hotter as I swept the therm. out towards the brake drum. I adjusted the shoes in and it cooled right back down to temps like the other wheels showed.

If I hadn't had it with me, I probably would have wasted a bunch of time taking things apart.

They are a good piece of equipment to have in your tool box.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          $300.00 Ra tech about 5 years ago. it rocks. Here are some uses You might not think of.
                          Race track ,ferriers hit each hoof while shoeing. High temp.= hoof disease.
                          Large 3 phase motors in factory's. Hit bearing ends. change hot ones before failure.
                          Mine can hook up a lap top to record history of components. MY FAVORITE, when the grandchildren come. Have them hit the freezer, stove ,light bulbs, Grampas BALD HEAD!
                          Try the Kids, they have a ball, and learn. One more,on Large trucks! They hit the radiator cores to find blockages! NO RICK , K-60 WONT HELP HERE!
                          Almost every day!
                          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I used mine to find a brake caliper that was hanging up intermittently. Compared the rotor temps and found the dragging caliper right away.
                            Rotor temp was almost twice that of the other three.

At work we use them every day to monitor equipment breakers, check for overheating relay coils, and many other uses.
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                              Shock, what was the reason for returning the Ridgid and spending twice as much for the Fluke?
                              The fluke actually felt a lot more durable for one thing, I just did not like the feel of the Ridgid tool, and the fluke has a longer range of accuracy.
                              Usually I prefer ridgid handtools over other brands, but for electronic testers, meters, etc. fluke is all I will buy from now on just based on experience with other brands.

Comment

1959 Eichler Radiant. We have this home. I cranked up the boiler,and found a 6 degree high where the 3/8" copper lines were. One side had settled 3 ". Jacked it up and welded off chance helicales. core drilled between lines and poured fly ash grout in void.
                                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                                X