• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IR Thermometers

Any recommendations or ones to avoid?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: IR Thermometers

Avoid the cheap ones. Seriously though, Fluke, Raytek and Thermoworks are all good ones. Features a plumber or HVAC tech would be interested in are: type k thermocouple (faster, more accurate) adjustable emissivity (for testing a variety of materials) MAX, MIN, AVG, DIF and HOLD functions +/- 1% accuracy and a backlight for readability in low light conditions. Expect to pay $120 and up for a good one. Sorry not to answer your question about which to avoid but if you stick with a name brand, quality and service should be guaranteed. Just like with Ridgid Tools. If you've never owned one, you'll be amazed at the uses you can find for it from plumbing, automotive, HVAC and around the house.

Comment

i even use mine for drain cleaning

picture a 3 or more story building. you clear a stoppage on the upper floor fixture and don't know if it's actually draining or possibly backing up into a lower unit

if they're not home below, i will use my ir thermometer and shoot the waste pipe riser in the garage area below. i run hot water and get a temperature reading. if the waste line is warmer than the surrounding waste lines, i'm draining. the laser spotter is great and i can do it all without a ladder

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,What brand is yours

I bought a $75.00 craftsman.
        First thing I did when I got it home was water heater flexes.Worked good up close.

Real world?
        The sight cone expands too fast.Worthless at distance.
        Reflexion is an issue.
        Tailiece examplelastic trap riser and adapter gives good reading.As soon as you raise the laser up to the chrome tailpiece it changes.So your not getting a true reading on reflective radius.
        I saved my packing box and reciept.I cannot trust this one for my intended use.

Comment

I use a Raytek MX which has an adjustable emissivity setting for different materials. Raytek is now part of Fluke so it would be one of their 570 series.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I just bought the Ridgid IR-100

I'm less than happy with it. Can't change from Celsius to Fahrenheit

Seems less quality than the Raytek it replaced

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              I just bought the Ridgid IR-100

I'm less than happy with it. Can't change from Celsius to Fahrenheit

Seems less quality than the Raytek it replaced
              did you read manual

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/DED7242...hermometer_Man[1].pdf

it's pushing the function key and scrolling from c to f

if all else fails, i'll show you at the roundup.

go team geritol

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Fluke
                sigpic

Comment

Fluke as well here.

Customers love it on the HVAC side when you put the laser on the register in the room with 10' ceilings (The averaging area at these distances makes the readings little more then a novelty though)

Mark: How can you dial in emissivity without knowing the actual temperature of the surface to start with

Bill

Comment

I use mine mostly for motors and gear boxes on cranes, but have checked a few pipes. Works great in C or F, has a range from -33c to +250c. I use it almost every day and it has never failed me. OK, I got my ear plugs in, so you guys can give me chit now. My IR thermometer is a Cen-Tech from HF, #93984 and with a coupon it cost me $19.95.
                    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      did you read manual

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/DED7242...hermometer_Man[1].pdf

it's pushing the function key and scrolling from c to f

if all else fails, i'll show you at the roundup.

go team geritol

rick.
                      Followed them step by step and when I change it to F the screen just goes blank

Anita tried it also..... so it's not just me

I need to learn the Celsius scale anyways

Comment

bill, bring it next week. i'm sure one of the engineers will be thrilled to see what is wrong and swap it out.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          bill, bring it next week. i'm sure one of the engineers will be thrilled to see what is wrong and swap it out.

rick.
                          Hey you know what

I got a tubing cutter wheel on my 151's that doesn't cut like it used to when I bought it.
                          Think I can get one of those same engineers to put a new one on?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            Hey you know what

I got a tubing cutter wheel on my 151's that doesn't cut like it used to when I bought it.
                            Think I can get one of those same engineers to put a new one on?

I doubt it.

J.C.

Comment

adam, you know that the ir that bill just purchased is brand new. it's either user error

or a flaw in the electronics.

your tubing cutter is just plain worn in.

are we still challenging bill to a tubing cutter race

his stolen miwaukee 12 volt cutter against our #15 ridgid tubing cutter

bill if you can beat me in my own game, i'll buy you a new one

but when you lose, you owe me milkshakes at every meal and yes we will have to compete wednesday so i can stack the shakes up. 3 a day wednesday through sunday afternoon

you in or out

3 pieces of 1/2'', 3- 3/4'' and 3-1''. m,l,k. 9 pieces total to cut.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X