Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
free hot water from oil boiler? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • free hot water from oil boiler?

    A plumber told us we can get "free" hot water from the oil boiler during the winter. can anybody explain more details to me? is that mean we need a water tank and have a pump to circle the water from tank to oil boiler when boiler is on?

    can gas boilers do the same thing?

    thanks,

  • #2
    Re: free hot water from oil boiler?

    Originally posted by housecarer View Post
    A plumber told us we can get "free" hot water from the oil boiler during the winter. can anybody explain more details to me? is that mean we need a water tank and have a pump to circle the water from tank to oil boiler when boiler is on?

    can gas boilers do the same thing?

    thanks,
    The only free cheese is in a mouse trap.

    The heat that you use for water is removed from the heat you would otherwise use for space heating. If you want a gallon of hot water, you need to burn oil to make it.

    That being said, an indirect unit can be very efficient.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: free hot water from oil boiler?

      we were really supprised and confused by that plumber.
      that means gas boiler can do the same thing (indirect heat unit)?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: free hot water from oil boiler?

        He probably was talking about using a tankless coil heater that is mounted inside the oil boiler. Fairly common with these systems.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: free hot water from oil boiler?

          Tankless Coils are hardly free, the boiler needs to maintain temp all the time in order for them to work and they might even run short at peak demenad. I know there was talk about banning them from building code but I think they squeeked through the most recent revisions.

          For this purpose, tankless coils are terrible in the summer time. Depending on your winter climate and how often you are home, they can be half way decent in the winter as the boiler will probably be maintaining temp to heat your house anyway, but the coil really negates any of the positives of doing temp setback during the periods where the house is unoccupied.

          if you go with the coil I would at least add a Field Controls OVD to you boiler to help keep the heat in the boiler and not vent it out the chimmney.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: free hot water from oil boiler?

            Originally posted by housecarer View Post
            A plumber told us we can get "free" hot water from the oil boiler during the winter. can anybody explain more details to me? is that mean we need a water tank and have a pump to circle the water from tank to oil boiler when boiler is on?

            can gas boilers do the same thing?

            thanks,
            With 15-Threads for 32-Posts I think you need to consider combining your threads and ask all of your questions in one place.

            Thanks-Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

            I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: free hot water from oil boiler?

              Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              With 15-Threads for 32-Posts I think you need to consider combining your threads and ask all of your questions in one place.

              Thanks-Mark
              learnt a lot from you guys. hope not stop answering my questions. it will be better if i can collect all questions at once but sometime different questions show up at different time.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: free hot water from oil boiler?

                Originally posted by housecarer View Post
                learnt a lot from you guys. hope not stop answering my questions. it will be better if i can collect all questions at once but sometime different questions show up at different time.
                All your questions are related, you can add the new question to the existing thread.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: free hot water from oil boiler?

                  Housescarer , Pour on the Coal,KEEP ASKIN. We'll deal with Mark. He gets a little threatened
                  By someone that posts GREAT QUESTIONS! Ridgid May pass the Mod. Hat to You!
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X