Radiant Heater vs. Forced Air

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiant Heater vs. Forced Air

Hey guys. I'm no heat expert at all. I am wanting to add heat to my garage this winter. I live in Northern IL so we can have harsh winters. My garage is 856 sq ft or 39' x 22'. It is drywalled but the attic has no insulation. I plan on adding cellulose insulation 15" deep which would give me R49.

I also am debating between Radiant & Forced Air heat. I found a 75,000 btu mr heater at northern tool. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6363_200316363
    I think for the price it is a decent unit. Unless you professionals can tell me otherwise.

My other idea is Radiant heat but I don't know where to start looking. I called a heating place around here asking about them and the guy said it is not practical for a residental garage. Is this true? If not can you guys give me some reccommendations for how long of a radiant tube I need and what brands to look for?

I plan on keeping the garage around 45 and maybe 60 when i'm out there tinkering. Also I see there is a tax credit this year from uncle same if I get a 95% efficent. Is this possible for a garage heater?

water squirter

don't know anything about mr. heater. i have put in 2 hot dawgs for my kids. they work great. no problems at all. believe me they would call if there were. google "hot dawg heater". i googled "mr heater". they have been in business for 40 years. my guess is they will be fine. i would not be afraid of them. breid.........

Comment

Re: Radiant Heater vs. Forced Air

75,000 btuh would do 1300ish sq ft so much to big. Radiant heats the stuff, forced air heats the air. Right away heat only where the tube can "see" you is the beni there. Forced air will be the more affordable though. Fat chance of 95% but possible. It's 30% of your cost up to 1500.00 If your doing it yourself, it might not help a ton but any of Uncle Sams money is better than none.

Comment

Ok so I understand correctly skip the radiant tube and stick with tried and true forced air.

Comment

It will do fine if your only out there once and a while. I for example did an electric since there was no way of getting gas out there and the Breaker panel is out there anyways. Works great for me.

Comment

Went out tonight and bought the Mr Heater 75K. Got it for $474 plus 10% off. Seems like a resonable deal. Have to get it installed in the next couple of weeks.

I want vent the unit out the side wall of my home. Is it ok to go verticle with the vent pipe about 3 feet then make a 90 turn and go 1' out the side wall?

Comment

As always, the manufacturers intallation instructions are invoked by building code, and also must comply with National Fuel Gas Code.

If your unit is the MHU75, it describes horizontal venting in detail, including required slope and drain. Also has this requirement :
              "
              The maximum vent length is 5’ (1.5m) plus one 90-degree
              elbow. Minimum length is 3’ (.91m) "

Comment

Radiant heat is and always will be far superior than scorced air. The radiant tube heater will heat up objects directly instead of waiting to give off their "cold" to warmer air. Also your concrete pad can be used as a sink since it absorbs the heat from the radiant tube, so once you open the door to drive in you have 850 sqft giving up btus instantly to warm the space. It also depends on how far the tube is in relation to your car, too close and you may bubble paint. But whatever heater you choose enjoy.

Comment

So I went with the forced air. Couldn't justify the added expense of radiant since we plan on living here less than 5 years.

Where is the best place to mount this heater? My garage is 39X22 with 10ft ceilings. I was thinking in the back of the garage centered on the back wall blowing forward.

Any tips?

Comment

i try to put them in a corner. they don't get in the way there. people stack stuff in the corners. put in furnace , stack stuff under it, so it feels at home. in your case maybe where your energy is. breid..............

Comment

Working...
                    X