X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bell and gosset recirc. Pump tinny rattle

Have and old 1959 AO smith perma glass boiler. Is there a fix for the rattle or change out whole pump? Stick with B AND G? TANKS TOOL
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Bell and gosset recirc. Pump tinny rattle

it's either the front bearing assembly or the pump/ motor coupler or the motor that required oiling that never go oiled from day 1

honestly, b&g have been outdated for a good 15-20 years. go with a grumpos. if you have the pump specs, it's easy to cross reference them.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Sounds like the motor / pump coupling to me.

They are fast and cheap to replace and you won't have problems for another 20 years.

Here is what they look like,

Take you around 30 minutes or so to change it,

BTW: A lot cheaper then buying a new pump

You can buy one here or locally:

Only $15.oo bucks !!

http://www.drillspot.com/products/78...g_Pump_Coupler

A lot better then throwing away a good pump just to buy another one!

That only adds to this "disposable economy" so many capitalists are making money from.

Its always better to repair something if you can Vs replacing it.

And the fact that this part is only $15 really warrants that for sure .

Let me know if you have any more questions or need more help

You could also need a new bearing assembly ( most likely the coupling making the noise ) But if you do, here is a few diagrams for that as well.

Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
      New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Re: Bell and gosset recirc. Pump tinny rattle,NOW LEAK

This is a gal and Her 86 Year old Mom in our neighbor hood. She said no heat. wouldn't lite off. Had a thermo coupling in My tool box. changed out , fired up . She was thrilled, Gave Me a $150.00 ! Go to My shop and start welding. Call no heat! stop by at 7 pm,0 on gauge,no 12 lbs! Give the P.R. valve a wrench rap,swooch water filling 12 lbs! coupler noise stops! Go to closet manifold to bleed off any air. Hey leak at recir pump. Pump now is leaking! turn off boiler supply. At 1 st VISIT called MY HYDRONICS FRIEND. But no return call,either swamped with our 1 st cold snap or fishing. Should I give back the check? Feel bad,But
        it is a 50 year old pump! Iknow She feels My wrap caused the failure! tanks tool
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

One of the advantages of the B&G pump is that because it is so inefficient, you will have fewer leaks on return lines. Take a good look at the motor mounts (they are on either side of the motor) if they are not perfectly round and appear to sag this will stress out the coupler spring and also contribute to some noise as well as eventual coupler spring failure.

Comment

If I understand fully which I am not sure I do the initial problem was air in the return the rattleing you may have heard could have been the flo check in stead of the circulator, check the automatic fill for it to be working properly make sure system has 12 psi, make sure there is no air in the system and you should be good. Change out the B&G for a Taco 007. You will not be unhappy, maybe change out the automatic fill too if there is not sufficient water in the system.

Comment

Handed off this and the gas tite job to a good plumber today. He's a good Guy, My plate is full! Thanks all

Comment

Working...
              X