X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your opinion of this?

Wondering HVAC professionals opinion of this from Rinnai.

Thanks.

J.C.

http://www.rinnai.us/hydronic-air-handlers/ah-90/

Re: What's your opinion of this?

Thought I'd bump this to see if any HVAC guys had installed one or had an opinion.

Trying to learn all I can.

J.C.

Comment

In a warmer climate, it might not be too bad.

I've heard of people doing all kinds of different things that involve using a water heater to do their heating as well. Some of them seem to work rather well.

The problem I see with the idea is that if the unit was designed as a water heater, and not a boiler..... Some problems can arise. The upside of this unit, is that it's made to work with the water heater, so... it may be alright.

Keep in mind that I am in Alaska. Heating systems here have to designed to keep the house warm when it's -60deg F outside. Frequently, they are not up to the task (undersized appliance, too little heat emitter, silly "energy saving" controls, improper maintenance etc etc etc). This is why i've been extremely busy during periods of -30 or colder weather for the last several years.

-------------

Only a few days left!!!! Help me support children’s cancer research CLICK HERE!

Comment

Not sure about the Rinnai air handler, but we did 4 houses this year where the builder spec'd the Rinnai for domestic and radiant purposes, and we just installed the in-slab pipe and washed our hands of it. Not a sustainable or reliable system in my opinion
        West Trail Mechanical Ltd
        Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Nor an efficient system. What you have is a 180,000 btu gas boiler with atmospheric burners. Much better to get a Baxi Luna or a Viessman or Buderus combo unit with 95+ condensing technology, or even a Triangle Tube boiler. I hate Rinnai's Noritz all that el cheapo crap. Wish we had never installed any of it because it's all coming back with service isssues less than 5 years later. Junk, it's all mass produced crap for the masses.
          sigpic

Comment

They are also suggesting to share the DHW circuit with the heating circuit (cross-connection)
            Potentially dangerous and at the least probably smelly showers

Comment

The unit is fine if tied into a boiler system as a second stage heating. This would allow for A/C in a boiler building. As for tied to a domestic water heating source it is flat out illegal here. This type of abuse to the water can make some one very sick. Plus they show an air removal system on continual oxygenated water. I dont see specs on the pump, but if it is less than bronze or stainless...it will fail every 1-2 years.

Comment

Working...
              X