Help me out here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me out here

So my furnace quit working on me. I have a 10 year old Bryant 355MAV. It sequences fine, the hot surface ignitor glows and gas valve opens but the gas does not ignite. What is up with that?
    ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Re: Help me out here

replace ignitor not getting hot enought to light gas

Comment

Is the gas turned on

Do you hear the gas or just the click of the valve...

Comment

Originally posted by jeff View Post
        replace ignitor not getting hot enought to light gas
        Thanks Jeff, I wasn't sure if that would do it but that is also the conclusion that I came to.
        And yes the gas is on thank you Bill.
        ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

I have never run into an HSI that glows but will not light the gas flow.

I was just starting the troubleshooting at the beginning by asking about gas flow

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post

I was just starting the troubleshooting at the beginning by asking about gas flow
            Same here.

Check the voltage at the gas valve while the HSI is glowing.

Comment

I have. Extremely rare though. Once, maybe twice I have seen this.

Andy

Comment

one way to prove it is with a long lighter as you here gas valve open lit it to bring on flame . I have seen it more than eought glow and not lit gas

Comment

Originally posted by jeff View Post
                  one way to prove it is with a long lighter as you here gas valve open lit it to bring on flame . I have seen it more than eought glow and not lit gas
                  14 years in service work and I can't remember a HSI that glowed but would not ignite proper gas flow...

No way would the first thought be to "change out the HSI" That would be at the bottom of the list if I could see the glow.

Change out the HSI without more information is just parts swapping advice

Rule out the simple first then get to the weird 1 in a million faults.

Mtman1100 will let us know how his issue works out...

Comment

The first thing I would check for on that particular furnace is a blocked combustion air inlet. You can have fuel and ignitor but if you dont have air you wont get fire. My money is still on the HSI though.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
                      I have. Extremely rare though. Once, maybe twice I have seen this.

Andy
                      It's probably placement more than it was temp.

Comment

I agree with the venting being an issue on that furnace. Try it with the burner box door off. If still nothing, try it quick, with the exhaust boot loose. If still no, check gas flow or at least if you smell it. Slightly bending ignitors twords the burner crossover and tword the center of the main opening might help. Also, especially if the intake is drawing from the basement, or drawing outside near a source of moisture, rust on the burners may stop it from catching. This furnace's ignition is very finicky.
                        Don't forget the $1500.00 to upgrade it to 95%. The venting is already there.....if properly sized. Might be worth thinking about this, or next year.

Comment

Originally posted by rjm78 View Post
                          I agree with the venting being an issue on that furnace. Try it with the burner box door off. If still nothing, try it quick, with the exhaust boot loose. If still no, check gas flow or at least if you smell it. Slightly bending ignitors twords the burner crossover and tword the center of the main opening might help. Also, especially if the intake is drawing from the basement, or drawing outside near a source of moisture, rust on the burners may stop it from catching. This furnace's ignition is very finicky.
                          Don't forget the $1500.00 to upgrade it to 95%. The venting is already there.....if properly sized. Might be worth thinking about this, or next year.

OK, so are we talking about a spark ignition system or an HSI??? I know for sure an HSI will not bend...

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
                            The first thing I would check for on that particular furnace is a blocked combustion air inlet. You can have fuel and ignitor but if you dont have air you wont get fire. My money is still on the HSI though.
                            Man I gotta quit posting so early in the morning after a long night at the bar. If venting was the issue more than likely the pressure switch wouldnt close, which wouldnt send power to the ignitor or gas valve.

Originally posted by rjm78 View Post
                            It's probably placement more than it was temp.
                            Ran across a few where placement was the issue. The ones Im referring to had zero adjustment on the placement.

Andy

Comment

OK, so are we talking about a spark ignition system or an HSI??? I know for sure an HSI will not bend...
                              Ok, good point. I refer to the ignitors bracket. Ruudguy made me remember that yea, it may be a zero adjustment set up, I can't remember. Still, that often works on yorks for example where placement is the most criticle I've seen.

Comment

Working...
                              X