Help me out here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mt

jeff could be right. my personal furnace would not light. hsi was red. put on jumpers , still wouldn't light. torched it and it fired. called tech people. they said red hsi would not fire it. hsi needed to be white. new hsi all is well. hew hsi didn't get totally white but tip sure did. i'm not embarrassed to call tech, call em. breid..............

Comment

Re: Help me out here

White!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's news to me.

Comment

tech support should be able to tell you what voltage to expect from the board into the hsi, and also what value to check for when you ohm the hsi you currently have.
        If you are not sure you are getting gas the only proper way to check is check for manifold pressure during startup sequence, do not use a torch.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
          OK, so are we talking about a spark ignition system or an HSI??? I know for sure an HSI will not bend...

Interesting ... good call I have heard of an hsi glowing but not hot enough, maybe urban legend I haven't had this happen to me yet

Comment

Originally posted by shock1964 View Post
            tech support should be able to tell you what voltage to expect from the board into the hsi, and also what value to check for when you ohm the hsi you currently have.
            If you are not sure you are getting gas the only proper way to check is check for manifold pressure during startup sequence, do not use a torch.
            Input voltage will always be line voltage on that type of ignitor, carbide (41-409)
            Lennox and I'm sure newer others step thier voltage down as low as 90vac but thats a nitride ignitor.
            As far as the ohm value, it varies too much on it's temp. Room temp may be 15-20 ohms but if it's within 15 min of it lighting it may be way different.

Comment

I've been in HVAC for 35 years and have only seen an HSI fail to light but still glowabout 4 times. If there is gas then the Ignitor is not hot enough. You can check amp draw on the ignitor. Many are up to 5.0. They do glow and fail to light. Sometimes I overlook the simple and get too complicated. I would also check voltage to the ignitor. I've seen a lot of boards lose voltage to the blower because of failed relays on the boards themselves.
              Last edited by desertmule57; 11-01-2009, 08:36 AM. Reason: left out part of sentence

Comment

OOPS, sorry I haven't checked back.
                So the exhaust discharge was great, lots of volume and I checked out the 3"PVC for anything, nothing was in there.
                Checked out the intake and burner box, found three mouse carcasses, removed them and still no fire.
                With burner box cover off, I lit the gas with a match and it would fire for a full cycle. But putting the box back together I would get a glow from the HSI and gas valve would open but no fire.
                So I did replace the ignitor and I bent it towards the first burner and that did it, it finally lit up. I am not curious enough to put the old HSI back in and bend it over. So thanks guys, it's working now.
                ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Well good, I'm glad that helped. If anything, it's not bad to replace the ignitor just because but I think you'd realize it was just a slight weakening/dirt/position issue. You covered all you bases.
                  BTW Don't be tempted to cover the intake or exhaust. It'll possibly freeze in the very cold winter days.
                  Glad you checked back with us, I was wondering.

Comment

Working...
                  X