X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bid for new furnace raises questions

Mom's furnace is on its last legs, so I got a bid to replace it.
    The guy wants to change out the AC coil at the same time, even though it works great. Here's what he said:

"New Modulating Furnace, 95% eff, AND new AC coil, because the new coil is compatible with the newer (green) coolant gas -
    so that whenever the old AC unit (outside) dies, you only have to replace the outside unit, and not tear-out/change the AC coil inside also."

$4700.00

Is this logical or recommended?
    Is it really so hard to change out the AC coil at a later time?
    Why would he be pushing to do it all at once?
    What do you guys think about the price? Seems steep to me.
    Thanks.

Re: Bid for new furnace raises questions

I cant answer any questions on price. That might be a fair price for your area. Nobody here knows unless they see the job. The only way to know is to get more bids.

I agree that changing the indoor coil makes sense. The old coil might have a metal drain pan that is rusted through, or Ive even seen cheap plastic ones that are melted. Either way, you dont want condensation from an old evaporator coil to screw up your new furnace. Also, you will only be paying to touch the sheet metal once. New furnace, matching cased coil and plenum transition makes more sense and looks alot nicer. If you do the coil later someone is going to have to redo the sheet metal then, or hack into the plenum to get it to fit.

Andy

Comment

get a price to change the whole shabang. if compressor pukes and pumps sludge through the whole system you will play hell getting the gunk out of evaporator. you will be buying another coil. how old is the ac. i'm not poking ruud in the eye. if it was mine i would do the heat and the ac............ price. well i can't see it from here. but that sounds about normal. breid...........

Comment

Bried is right but do it more so you dont mix refrigerants. Change the lines too! Dont forget if it's 95%, you just got yourself 1500 in tax credits. Use that twords the AC.
        Psssst, little advice, price sounds great but make sure they don't have taillight warranties and are reputable. Question is, is that the price YOU pay or the end cost with the credit factored in?

Comment

The AC is 6 to 8 years old and works great.
          The bid is $4,700 before the tax credit, so $3,200 after?
          Is the two stage worth the extra $?

Comment

Yes 2 stage is worth the money,just make sure they did a load calc. to make sure it is sized correctly for the house.
            DIRTFT

Comment

Originally posted by Dairylander View Post
              The AC is 6 to 8 years old and works great.
              The bid is $4,700 before the tax credit, so $3,200 after?
              Is the two stage worth the extra $?
              If your not doing the AC then dont do the coil either. Pay to have a plenumn re-built with a front door installed so when your ready, the lines get cut, doors pitsburgh is opened up, and coil is easily accessible. Be sure and make it big enough to fit the new evaps (much bigger) Biggest issue lately is height but depth is also an issue. The width should match the furnace. Have the heat load and cool load done so when you choose a furnace, the blower will be big enough too.

Comment

Good idea to replace the entire show. With a higher efficency furnace you can downsize the BTU. Just make sure the new furnace has enough blower drive for the a/c tonage. And make sure all the ductwork is sealed and properly sized. I find about half the furnaces cycling on the high limit because of too small a duct system. Make sure the company has been there for years and will still be there to warranty your hard-earned money.

Comment

Working...
                X