Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is There A Logical Reason Why?(Kind of a Rant)

Can someone tell me what is so special about the Inducer Motor Assy. on a Bryant 90 Plus that it costs $292.00? I needed to have mine replaced and that was the charge for the part, the labor was added on top of that price. I probably could have bought a brand new Made In China furnace for that price. With American companies gouging us on parts prices it's no wonder people buy foreign made throw away products. OK, I'm done now.
    Last edited by BadgerDave; 10-28-2009, 09:13 AM.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Re: Is There A Logical Reason Why?(Kind of a Rant)

the price is figured this way,

They have it and you do not. and you need it. and with out it you get cold.

Why is it if you buy a hydraulic cylinder for $110 and need to replace the shaft, the shaft is $90? and they were US made.

It is the what will the market bear pricing method,
    Not what did the unit cost to produce and cover overhead, with a fair profit,
    but they will pay, $XXX.XX If they need it.

tell me how can companies sell they products on special some times for 50% off the normal, and then come back and restock with the same product, some place in many of these products there must be allot of margin from cost of product and the retail price.

on the power screed I made the other day, cost me $130 for the tube,(that was full retail, and that produced a 14' and a 6' screed tube) the bearings about $20, and the steel miscellaneous parts, probably another $20 and a number of hrs of work, (took more time to figure out what I wanted to do than to do it), so my power screed, cost me under $200 in parts and say $200 in labor, the retail price on the unit was about $1200, (one could subtract $200 for the drill), so a $1000 if I would ordered it, + shipping, (I am not saying the company is not entitled to $600 for there profits or for there efforts above the manufacture of the units) but in business one sees the cost and figures that will pay for it self in one or two slabs , buy it, it will make me money, with out much regard to the purchase price. as long as the purchase price is such that the majority of businesses can make it work it will sell for what the market will bear.

(and I think the same is for your furnace, the part is not so much to force you into a new furnace, but plenty to help the company and the dealer of the company). and if you do think it is old enough to replace and that to "fix it" is not in your best interest, what is the chance you would replace it with the same company's newer model?) as that is what the dealer handles.
    Last edited by BHD; 10-28-2009, 10:14 AM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

My company charges near 650 with labor. We simply add a multiplier to what the motor guy charges us, add in overhead, and a very small profit.
      It's crazy, I know.

Comment

Inducer motors for roof top units are between 300-450 bucks. I agree that they probably make it for $14, but the market sets the price.
        West Trail Mechanical Ltd
        Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

[QUOTE I agree that they probably make it for $14, but the market sets the price.[/QUOTE]

I wonder when it was that we got away from the morally correct concept of charging what a product was actually worth to nowadays charging whatever we can get away with? Sometimes it feels like the public is being robbed without the gun and mask.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Robbed at pencil point

G3

Comment

I wonder how much it costs to manufacture a car or truck in relation to the final sell price?
              The cost to grow wheat and make it into bread in relation to the final sell price? The farmer sure doesnt get away with a big bag of cash for it.
              When I was a kid the price of a chocolate bar went from 15cents to 25 cents and everyone thought that was just robbery.
              Some things we can live without and others are necessary due to weather etc. and we got no choice but to pay the piper.
              Dunno what is fair or not, just gotta shop around and get the best price you can and make some choices to do without.
              Just some random thoughts on the subject.

Comment

I hate to post this, but the other day I found a very nice piece of machinery that retails for over $500 and it was in a trash pile. Now you are thinking something like this I bet. "It was trashed because it was in bad condition and to fix it would have cost big money." Right? Well, here is the mind blower for me. It was in MINT condition and only needed a simple repair that took me about 15 minutes and under $10 total in parts. I now have it cleaned up and am loving my wild find. The problem is that too many people buy things, never read or even keep the owner's manual or parts list and because in my area they are mostly ****** types have money to burn. Now if only these over rich ***** would donate say $500 per year to the volunteer fire departmenst and rescue squads to help them out, but NO way will they even go to McDonald's and buy a little food for a poor homeless person that's been out in the heavy rain all day begging for something to eat. They drive by yelling *&^%$#@ at him/her in their $50K plus fancy 2" ground clearance wild but worthless show off car.

Note: This post was edited to remove my angry comments.
                Last edited by Woussko; 10-30-2009, 09:52 PM.

Comment

The primary reason things cost so much can be summed up in one word: Lawyers.

Those that make the laws, lobby for more laws, chase the ambulance to profit from the aforesaid laws, and those that you have to hire to interpret or comply with the laws that are there only to benefit the lawyers.

Go
                  Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                    I hate to post this, but the other day I found a very nice piece of machinery that retails for over $500 and it was in a trash pile. Now you are thinking something like this I bet. "It was trashed because it was in bad condition and to fix it would have cost big money." Right? Well, here is the mind blower for me. It was in MINT condition and only needed a simple repair that took me about 15 minutes and under $10 total in parts. I now have it cleaned up and am loving my wild find. The problem is that people buy things, never read or even keep the owner's manual or parts list and because in my area they are mostly Yaupo Schight types, they have money to burn. Now if only these over rich *&^%$# would donate say $500 per year to the volunteer fire department and rescue squad to help them out, but NO way will they even go to McDonald's and buy a little food for a poor homeless person that's been out in the heavy rain all day begging for something to eat. They drive by yelling *&^%$#@ at him/her in their $50K plus fancy 2" ground clearance wild but worthless show off car.

Never even dream of getting me into the subject of the young female Yaupo Schights and what they do to impress people. There need to be strictly enforced laws dealing with them, but there aren't.

Yaupo Schight = A show off person about 21 - 50 years of age that has to in a big fake way impress people on how rich he/she is and that he/she holds fancy college degrees in "How To Be A Stupid Fool".

yaupo schight (not Yaupo Schight) = All the totally insane show off toys that a Yaupo Schight has only for attempting to impress people.
                    ooooooook

Comment

Gofor

Lawyer - A professional (so called anyway) perpetual liar and thief.

Line 'em up and let the real people of this country OPEN FIRE

Comment

Bought a 3000 dollar pellet stove from a guy that said it was all f'd up and wouldn't run and he was sure the motor was burned out. Paid 25 bucks for it. took it to the shop. cleaned it, oiled it, been running it steady for 2 years now. Idiots got to love em
                        sigpic

Comment

I am an HVAC Servicee Tech. I install several of these a week. If a combustion blower lasts 10 years then it was a good one. I had one the other day that was original to the furnace and it was 25 yrs. old. A lennox. The part is no longer available. It costs $750.00 per day to stock, operate and insure my truck. If I am lucky I will get 8 calls a day. I have to make that just to break even. There is not a lot of room for profit. Get a good service contract, Planned Service, and you will get a decent discount on parts. Plus when you get the heat inspection the tech can tell if a part is playing out. Then you get the part with the discount and no diagnostic/service charge. A combustion blower assembly for a Payne residential upflow costs us about $350.00. Take out a service contract. We charge $139.00 per year for one system, residential and $228.00 for 2 systems. Platinum is higher but ALL cleanings are free.

Comment

Working...
                          X