Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for a furnace gas valve

Hello Everyone,
    This is my first post so please pardon my newbieness (is that a real word?). I have a Lennox G12Q3-110 upflow furnace and am looking for a replacement gas valve. It has an Essex (Alpha-Tafco) TF-555 installed. I can't seem to find these anywhere, does anyone know of a source or cross reference valve? As an alternative, can the solenoid for the valve be replaced? I see proper voltage at the terminals when the thermostat calls for heat, but gas does not flow to the burners. It has a standing pilot and it operates just fine. Winter is coming and cost is an issue, so the cheaper the better.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: I'm looking for a furnace gas valve

Your newbieness is enough reason to call a pro to have it replaced. Is the risk of not doing right and having it dangerous worth a couple hundred bucks?

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I don't plan on doing the work by myself but I want to educate myself on my options and perhaps buy the part I need before having a tech do the work. I have friends in the trade. When I said I was a newbie, I meant posting to the site and not having access to cross reference manuals or the like.

Comment

I would have your friend in the trade have a look at it, If he or she is in the trade and are going to do the work anyway they will be able to get you the valve you need and will know the best parts source in your area.

Alot of folks here tend to shy away from giving advice on Gas valves and gas line installation to non-pro's due to the dangers involved( I am one of them).

Geester what type of Engineer are you?

Bill

Comment

This is where things are a bit complicated. My friend lives about 3-4 hours from where I am and I was hoping to have the part ready for him when he rolls into town. I want to inconvenience him as little as possible on this, since his time is limited while he is here. If I could get the part here in the metro area, it would save him some time.

I see your point, given the dangers involved. That's why I don't intend on installing it myself.

Bill, I am an electrical engineer working in the telecom industry.

Comment

they show up on Ebay from time to time,

and if you type TF 555 in to a Google search there are a few sites that appear to have a replacement.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
            X