X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aquapex and radiant

I've been doing some reading "not enough apparently" and a recurring theme is the wrongness of using non oxygen barrier pex in radiant applications. can anyone explain what the reasoning is? or at the very least point me in the right direction, I'm probably not typing in the right search parameters over at heatinghelp.com
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: aquapex and radiant

Oxygen migration can occur in "normal" PEX causing quicker deterioration of any ferrous metals in the system.

Oxygen barrier PEX is recommended to protect pumps, heat sources, valves.

This is the way I understand it. I am NOT a heating guy at all. I have seen "radiant heating contractors" just install normal PEX on jobs.

When I ask them any questions about Oxygen Barrier PEX, they get the deer in the headlights look.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks JC, I was thinking of it backwards I think. the oxygen barrier is to keep oxygen out, not in. I thought it had something to do with the heat breaking some of the hydrogen and oxygen molecules apart "I was reaching".

I've been learning a little at a time. in this area its all aquapex, they can special order oxygen barrier, but thats about it.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        Oxygen migration can occur in "normal" PEX causing quicker deterioration of any ferrous metals in the system.

Oxygen barrier PEX is recommended to protect pumps, heat sources, valves.

This is the way I understand it. I am NOT a heating guy at all. I have seen "radiant heating contractors" just install normal PEX on jobs.

When I ask them any questions about Oxygen Barrier PEX, they get the deer in the headlights look.

J.C.
        Like JC said, a radiant system using normal PEX will deteriorate much faster and cause air related issues like noise, zone balancing issues....
        Plumbing shop supr.
        My plumbing hobby site - PlumbingHelp.ca

Comment

Working...
        X