Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The !#$! furnace again...

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
    As bad as that heat exchanger looks I wouldnt waste the money on an ignition module.

Heres my recommendation. http://www.ruud.com/product.aspx?id=...6-EBE891DD5936 This is a real nice dual fuel self contained. I like the Ruud units for their stainless tubular heat exchangers. Mucho better than a mild steel clamshell or tubular.

Andy
    Thanks for the recommendation. That might be the ticket. Maybe I can start a telethon to keep J.C. warm.

Brrrr.....

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
      As bad as that heat exchanger looks I wouldnt waste the money on an ignition module.

Heres my recommendation. http://www.ruud.com/product.aspx?id=...6-EBE891DD5936 This is a real nice dual fuel self contained. I like the Ruud units for their stainless tubular heat exchangers. Mucho better than a mild steel clamshell or tubular.

Andy
      JC, don't get feared (homeowner hard sell) into a new unit spend the 90 bucks on the parts to fix yours and do a CO check.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
        JC, don't get feared (homeowner hard sell) into a new unit spend the 90 bucks on the parts to fix yours and do a CO check.
        Last question I hope. Am I qualified to do a CO check? Seriously.

Special meter? Where to scope it at?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

You may need to call and HVAC friend for this one...

My meter was 300 bucks (a cheap one) check for CO at the registers inside while the unit is runnning.

also

go to Wal-mart and get a Nighthawk CO meter 70 bucks ( every home should have a CO meter) and install and locate it properly

Comment

Thanks for all the info. Will do.

J.C.

Comment

Why fix something if it is junk? Check that HX as soon as possible it does not look good at all. Don't want to see you die for 90 bucks!
              DIRTFT

Comment

Originally posted by qwertyhvac View Post
                Why fix something if it is junk? Check that HX as soon as possible it does not look good at all. Don't want to see you die for 90 bucks!
                How do you prove it is junk without fixing it first??? You can always take the parts back if the exchanger is bad....

Just because the heat exchanger has not been cleaned in years does not prove that the unit is junk just that it is dirty...

Comment

I called one of the HVAC guys I know this morning about the ignition module and he told me I'd have to call around and see what I could find. I then called two HVAC supply houses today that have multiple branches. One had the module many states away. The other would have to order it.

Found a supposed new one on the Ebay for 1/3 to 1/4 the quoted cost. Ordered it. We'll see if it works.

I also opened up the top to get a better look at the heat exchanger. Three separate vessels. All looked real good on the top. The bottoms shows some rust.

I'll also test for CO when the ignitor arrives. If it works of course.

Just keeping anyone interested posted.

J.C.
                  Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 11-30-2009, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Well at least you did not freeze to death last night

G3

Comment

How do you prove it is junk without fixing it first??? You can always take the parts back ...
                      all the supply houses here wont take back a ignition module if its opened
                      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                        all the supply houses here wont take back a ignition module if its opened
                        I completely expected that as well. But I don't mind rolling the dice once in awhile in the larger scheme of things.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          I called one of the HVAC guys I know this morning about the ignition module and he told me I'd have to call around and see what I could find. I then called two HVAC supply houses today that have multiple branches. One had the module many states away. The other would have to order it.

Found a supposed new one on the Ebay for 1/3 to 1/4 the quoted cost. Ordered it. We'll see if it works.

I also opened up the top to get a better look at the heat exchanger. Three separate vessels. All looked real good on the top. The bottoms shows some rust.

I'll also test for CO when the ignitor arrives. If it works of course.
                          For sure worth the $30 to give it a shot. If the heat exchanger is busted it will be on the back about two thirds of the way up. Hope it works out for you!

Andy

Comment

The first thing I would do before spending a dime on that furnace is do a thorough cleaning and inspect the heat exchanger for cracks or pinholes, it appears quite rusty in the pictures. You can use either a strong light or smoke generators to check the exchanger. If it's no good why waste money on it. It sounds like you have friends in the industry who might be able to get you a new furnace at contractor cost which would save you a significant amount of money.
                            Just my 2 cents.

Comment

The old Comfortmaker rides again!

Replaced the ignition module, vacuumed & buttoned things up, it fired and seems to be running as it should.

I've also bought a CO detector with a PPM indicator. It's about 4 ft. from a vent and has been reading 0.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas. It is greatly appreciated.

J.C.

Comment

HIP HIP HOORAY!!

G3

Comment

Working...
                                X