Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Carrier Model 58 PAV Furnace Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Carrier Model 58 PAV Furnace

    My home is heated with Carrier 58 PAV furnace unfortunately not working.
    When connectors are held tightly in to electric control circuit box, the heat comes on and everything works properly. As soon as you let go, it turns off. The plug in connectors are not damaged and appear to be in good shape.
    Thanks for your help!

  • #2
    Re: Carrier Model 58 PAV Furnace

    Which connector are you pushing on?

    Is it the white plastic 9 pin connector (9 holes) or is it one of the connectors on the bottom of the module ( the one on the left is for the hsi the one next to it is for the inducer blower motor).

    OR is it the small colored wires that come into the top of the module (These are the system thermostat and condenser wires typically colored red/yellow or blue/white/green)

    Bill

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Carrier Model 58 PAV Furnace

      Souinds like a bad connection in the 11 pin connector. Those can be a pain at times, especialy if you have had a condensate leak into the furnace from the evap coil on an upflow model. The water tends to collect where the connector is located. Sometimes if you're lucky maybe you'll end up with a corroded connector. If not so lucky it wil fry the control board.
      You could try to clean the connector and circuit board contacts.

      James
      Last edited by James P; 12-03-2009, 03:15 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Carrier Model 58 PAV Furnace

        Originally posted by James P View Post
        Souinds like a bad connection in the 11 pin connector. Those can be a pain at times, especialy if you have had a condensate leak into the furnace from the evap coil on an upflow model. The water tends to collect where the connector is located. Sometimes if you're lucky maybe you'll end up with a corroded connector. If not so lucky it wil fry the control board.
        You could try to clean the connector and circuit board contacts.

        James

        I guess the first question we should ask is which control module does the questioner have... LOL I forget about that board ( All the 58PAV's I see have the control box)

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Carrier Model 58 PAV Furnace

          Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
          I guess the first question we should ask is which control module does the questioner have... LOL I forget about that board ( All the 58PAV's I see have the control box)
          The board that I have for the 58PAV is Carrier Part#325878-751.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Carrier Model 58 PAV Furnace

            Originally posted by James P View Post
            The board that I have for the 58PAV is Carrier Part#325878-751.
            Does that mean that is the only board Carrier ever put in the 58PAV? NO

            That is simply Carriers current replacement board. The older HK boards as well as the even older control boxes have problems with bad solder joints and all were placed on the 58PAV at one time or another.

            The relevant question is still which board or box does the poster have.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Carrier Model 58 PAV Furnace

              Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
              Does that mean that is the only board Carrier ever put in the 58PAV? NO
              Originally posted by OkieBill View Post

              That is simply Carriers current replacement board. The older HK boards as well as the even older control boxes have problems with bad solder joints and all were placed on the 58PAV at one time or another.

              The relevant question is still which board or box does the poster have.
              Bill,
              I'm aware of that.

              I was thinking about the older Carriers where the connector is at the top of the board. I guess I didn't explain myself clearly. The ones that use the ICM281 boards
              If the OP can hold the connector to make the circuit definitely he has bad connection. Bad, or cold solder joint, corroded connector pin something that relatively simple to diagnose.
              In my experience with Carrier, Bryant,& Payne furnaces the biggest problems are the flame sensors, induced draft blower motors, and an occasional HSI. Most of the boards I have replaced is because of the fan relay failures. The boards seem to be fairly reliable.

              James

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Carrier Model 58 PAV Furnace

                Sorry James we are both speaking the same language just a bit constrained by the written word

                Oh yea, welcome to the madhouse called the Ridgid Boards

                Bill

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Carrier Model 58 PAV Furnace

                  Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                  Sorry James we are both speaking the same language just a bit constrained by the written word

                  Oh yea, welcome to the madhouse called the Ridgid Boards

                  Bill
                  Thanks Bill,

                  Sometimes what's in my brain gets lost from the journey to the keyboard.

                  James

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Carrier Model 58 PAV Furnace

                    i have the same carrier 58PAV unit, but its not having power to the the inducer fan motor, i check the power at the inducer motor and also at the board , there was no power, i replace the board, but new board acting the same,anyone pleasr help me

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Carrier Model 58 PAV Furnace

                      Originally posted by SAM3 View Post
                      i have the same carrier 58PAV unit, but its not having power to the the inducer fan motor, i check the power at the inducer motor and also at the board , there was no power, i replace the board, but new board acting the same,anyone pleasr help me
                      Start at the beginning. Check for voltage to the furnace,& the blower panel safety switch.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Carrier Model 58 PAV Furnace

                        Originally posted by James P View Post
                        [B]

                        Bill,
                        I'm aware of that.

                        I was thinking about the older Carriers where the connector is at the top of the board. I guess I didn't explain myself clearly. The ones that use the ICM281 boards
                        If the OP can hold the connector to make the circuit definitely he has bad connection. Bad, or cold solder joint, corroded connector pin something that relatively simple to diagnose.
                        In my experience with Carrier, Bryant,& Payne furnaces the biggest problems are the flame sensors, induced draft blower motors, and an occasional HSI. Most of the boards I have replaced is because of the fan relay failures. The boards seem to be fairly reliable.

                        James
                        I have one with what I think is a fan relay failure. But I can hear the fan relay clicking just like on the board for the furnace I have right beside it (2 furnances in this house).

                        Symptoms are that as soon as the furnace is powered up, I hear the relay click and the fan runs all the time regardless of the setting on the thermostat.

                        The heat cycles on and off as normal in response to a call for heat from the thermostat. The high limit switch is closed as normal.

                        I thought with a failed relay, it would be fused and you would not hear the clicking of the fan relay being energized and sending 120v to the fan.

                        Am I on the right track here?

                        I also suspect a short from the transformer (red wire) to the green wire in the thermostat wiring. There are two wires connected to the circuit board at the "G" connector. When those are removed from the board, the fan goes off.

                        Fan stays on even if the thermostat wires are disconnected at the thermostat.

                        I may pull the green and red wire off the furnace circuit board and check for continuity with the thermostat also disconnected. This way I could determine whether my drywallers possibly punctured my thermostat wiring when they developed my basement.

                        Am I on the right track here?

                        Finally, what would be the purpose for a second wire to be attached to the green terminal on the circuit board? Would this be used perhaps to trigger the humidifier attached to furnace? Are there any other purposes?

                        Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts.
                        Last edited by jim_in_calgary; 09-15-2010, 05:57 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Carrier Model 58 PAV Furnace

                          Originally posted by jim_in_calgary View Post
                          I have one with what I think is a fan relay failure. But I can hear the fan relay clicking just like on the board for the furnace I have right beside it (2 furnances in this house).

                          Symptoms are that as soon as the furnace is powered up, I hear the relay click and the fan runs all the time regardless of the setting on the thermostat.

                          The heat cycles on and off as normal in response to a call for heat from the thermostat. The high limit switch is closed as normal.

                          I thought with a failed relay, it would be fused and you would not hear the clicking of the fan relay being energized and sending 120v to the fan.

                          Am I on the right track here?

                          I also suspect a short from the transformer (red wire) to the green wire in the thermostat wiring. There are two wires connected to the circuit board at the "G" connector. When those are removed from the board, the fan goes off.

                          Fan stays on even if the thermostat wires are disconnected at the thermostat.

                          I may pull the green and red wire off the furnace circuit board and check for continuity with the thermostat also disconnected. This way I could determine whether my drywallers possibly punctured my thermostat wiring when they developed my basement.

                          Am I on the right track here?

                          Finally, what would be the purpose for a second wire to be attached to the green terminal on the circuit board? Would this be used perhaps to trigger the humidifier attached to furnace? Are there any other purposes?

                          Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts.
                          Are the furnaces twinned? Share the same duct.

                          There should be just one green wire to the G terminal.

                          The board has provisions for an electronic air filter and humidifier.

                          The 5 conductors to the board from the Tstat.

                          R 24volt - red

                          W heat relay - white

                          G fan relay - green

                          Y cooling relay- yellow

                          C common - blue

                          James

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Carrier Model 58 PAV Furnace

                            I will do some continuity testing and will record the number of wires to the terminals, then report back with some data.

                            There are two furnaces in the house running from 2 thermostats. They run independantly of one another. Two different flues. One furnace heats the basement and main floor. The second heats the top floor. This one also has air conditioning.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Carrier Model 58 PAV Furnace

                              Originally posted by jim_in_calgary View Post
                              I will do some continuity testing and will record the number of wires to the terminals, then report back with some data.

                              There are two furnaces in the house running from 2 thermostats. They run independantly of one another. Two different flues. One furnace heats the basement and main floor. The second heats the top floor. This one also has air conditioning.


                              The reason for me asking about the twinning, I can't imagine why two wires would be needed to the fan relay terminal.


                              Might be someone wanted the blower to run continously and did some shade tree wiring at the Tstat.

                              James

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X