X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Filled Radiators?

Some companies make small oil filled radiator type electric space heaters.

Got me thinking and wondering...

Would this work for whole house heating systems? Using some sort of oil rather than water circulation? Is it already done and I just know nothing about it?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Oil Filled Radiators?

closed loop glycol radiant...??

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
      closed loop glycol radiant...??
      Heard of and read about. No real experience. But would that be considered the same as a closed loop oil system?

Wondering if oil circulation would be a better way. If it had a similar Specific Heat Capacity and factored for expansion etc.

It might get "gooky" looking over time and have to be replace, but might be better on piping & pumps.

Thinking and wondering more....

J.C.

Comment

what kinda oil are we talking here?

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
          what kinda oil are we talking here?
          I'm clueless. But I've seen these. Just a small space heater that's supposed to be filled with oil and heated with what I assume is an electric heating element. I was thinking similarly but on a larger scale with some sort of oil as the heat carrying liquid as opposed to what's normally done.

Sound crazy?

J.C.
          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 11:40 PM.

Comment

got me the only brine i've worked with is glycol in solar thermal applications

Comment

Oil filled space heater. I have one in my office. there only good for heading small rooms.

Comment

Might work but a myriad of potential problems in a home environment.

Environmental concerns when servicing, modifying, or expanding system. What PPE is required to work on the system? What hazard is there to occupants if a leak should develop?

Fire hazard? What are the properties with respect to fire, flammability, etc.

How would any of the above affect HO insurance premiums?

What is the installed cost (labor and materials) of an oil filled system vice water or other medium?

How long to recoup any additional investment for an oil system? -OR- IS there any savings or benefit to using an oil filled system? At the low temperatures sued for comfort heating, water seems to be more than capable of transferring the required BTUs from A to B.

What advantage do the oil filled free-standing radiators have over other electric heaters? They have mass which holds the heat longer. They give a more uniform heat just like the old water filled radiators in a hydronic system did, or CI baseboard for that matter did too.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

during the depression and ww2 people used kerosene in their radiators on their cars and trucks. other wise they had to drain every thing out when it was cold out. a real pain in the butt. breid.............

Comment

I would think the biggest diffrence of oil would be a higher fluid temperature one could use.
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Educated guess here - Oil is probably slower to heat up and slower to cool down. Thus works great in a stationary application to provide a steady radiant source, but in a flowing application, probably does not give its heat up as fast as water, so it probably would not work as well in your typical baseboard heat.
                      Not to mention what would happen if you had a pinhole in the boiler!

Comment

Working...
                      X