X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need Make-up Air?

Need some opinions. I have a 2200 sq ft home in New England (1980 or so) that uses an oil fired boiler with baseboard radiators. I am doing some caulking in the basement around the exterior wall sill plate at the top of the foundation wall to prevent air infiltration and bugs. Also, I will be upgrading the bulkhead door from a home made plywood affair (with lots of air gaps) to a pre-hung insulated weatherstripped door. Then I am going to insulate the inside of the rim joists so that the basement will be semi-conditioned usable space.

I think the work I am doing will reduce the amount of outside air that is currently able to infiltrate into the basement. This infiltration probably provides the make up air for the boiler, as there is no other source of fresh air into the basement.

Do I need to be concerned about providing additional make up air? If so, what is the easiest way to provide it?

Re: Do I need Make-up Air?

Let's see, how does that CYA note on most drawings read?

1. Installer to comply with all applicable codes.

Check your State's mechanical code to be sure. You have a copy of the code right? You guys live in those things don't you?

But no, in my opinion with those sources of in-leakage you plan to block or eliminate are not the sole source of combustion air. It will still come from the house just as it always did, part of it anyway.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

How big is the basement?
      sigpic

Comment

if it was a newer and titer house yes you do need it
        you know your house if you think there is no air coming in the house then you need it
        if the oil burner starts to run rough then you need it

if you find that there is no oxygen in the house then you need it

if you pass out and Die then you dont need it ,you wont be there any more
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by driggs View Post
          Need some opinions. I have a 2200 sq ft home in New England (1980 or so) that uses an oil fired boiler with baseboard radiators. I am doing some caulking in the basement around the exterior wall sill plate at the top of the foundation wall to prevent air infiltration and bugs. Also, I will be upgrading the bulkhead door from a home made plywood affair (with lots of air gaps) to a pre-hung insulated weatherstripped door. Then I am going to insulate the inside of the rim joists so that the basement will be semi-conditioned usable space.

I think the work I am doing will reduce the amount of outside air that is currently able to infiltrate into the basement. This infiltration probably provides the make up air for the boiler, as there is no other source of fresh air into the basement.

Do I need to be concerned about providing additional make up air? If so, what is the easiest way to provide it?

Whats is the SQ Footage of your basement? Also the Btu's of your boiler? Also Why dont you ever leave any damn room for duct work when you know as well as I do theres gonna be some?? And......I could go on but Ill let you answer first

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonG View Post
            Whats is the SQ Footage of your basement? Also the Btu's of your boiler? Also Why dont you ever leave any damn room for duct work when you know as well as I do theres gonna be some?? And......I could go on but Ill let you answer first

Basement is around 1000 sq ft, I think the boiler is 144,000 BTU. I think (tags hard to read). Built in 1978, double glazed sliding metal windows, but it is not too tight. Also, we always leave room for the ductwork, but you guys get greedy...and how come you never look at the damn plans? You just run the ducts willy nilly like the tin knockers are the only sub on the job....and the air grilles are never installed plumb with the friggin walls.....well I could go on and on....

Comment

Working...
            X