Trane won't keep up!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trane won't keep up!

Guys I know this won't be all of the info you need but I just want any ideas of possible causes of my problem. First of all I have a Trane Heat pump I believe it's 2.5 ton with an XV90 variable speed. The blower unit is in an unconditioned garage with foil bubble wrap around the ducts for insulation(attic as well) It has flex in the attic coming off those foil wrapped main supplies and returns. We don't have severe cold here in Western KY so it's fine on the heat. I have seen the supplemental 50 amp electric aux heat kick on a few times when the temps stayed below in the teens. The main problem is in the summer it won't keep up when the outside temps get above 90. I added additonal cellulose insulation and it already has full ridge vent and full vented soffit. I also added a huge powered attic ventilator just in case. Anyway the square footage is approximately 800 which consists of a main living room 22 x 22 with 10 foot ceiling the rest of the area is a small bedroom, hallway and bathroom which make up a 12 x 22 area and has 8 foot ceilings. There is one return in the living room that spans two studs runs back through the ceiling for return air. That same room has two supply ducts. The other rooms (not living room) don't seem to be as hot but I wouldn't say it was comfortable maybe 74. I put in the extra cellulose in the attic to cover the flex duct for the returns and supplies. I was afraid they may be absorbing too much heat so I filled the attic up just past the top of the ducts. The contractor installed some sort of dryer in line (high pressure line) a year after the system was initially installed (it was installed in the winter 3 yrs ago). We didn't move into the space for a year because I was doing most of the work myself on my days off from my two jobs. The contractor kept sayingthe attic heat was the problem and thats why I installed all of the cellulose and attic fan None of it helped. The new part I have been discussing is on a concrete slab. The rest of the house has two split sytems that are Trane and are gas furnaces they have supply in the attic and return in the crawl space. The other ten+ yr old split systems work fine with the same kind of heat in the attic. The attics are seperated. I think A) Undersized heat/cool pump or not enough return/supplies or both. Sorry to be so long winded but I wanted to give as nuch info as possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Charles Abbott
    Last edited by ceabbott2; 12-30-2009, 08:25 PM. Reason: additional info

Re: Trane won't keep up!

Sounds like a duct design problem. One return does not seem like enough. Did they do a load calculation on the install? That would tell them the right unit to install and the right size ducts to install.
    DIRTFT

Comment

Thanks Qwertyhvac

What happened was I recieved a bid quote from a reputable HVAC contractor my contractors main competitor. My contractor had put in my other two split sytems 8-9 years earlier. My contractor started to do the qoute and asked who all I was asking to bid on the job I told him I already had a qoute from his competitor and if he could beat it he would get the job. Anyway he wanted to see the qoute after he submitted his and I let him. I don't know if either did a jload or not? I kinda figured on a brand new install they would have done their homework. I also wondered since the cielings were different heights if they forgot to take that into account when they performed their calculations for return and supply? Is there any way for me to do this calculation myself? Also is there a Dload calculation as well? The opening for the return register is 8 x 36 inches would increasing the size of the opening for the return and putting a larger register to cover help or do you think there should be another return panned in the same wall only over 10-15 feet down the wall? Thanks again Charles
      Last edited by ceabbott2; 12-30-2009, 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

From what you describe, I would tear it all out and start over.

James

Comment

http://hvaccomputer.com/talkref.asp Try this if you want to do your own load calc. Make sure you take into account all of your load requirements.
          DIRTFT

Comment

Well I guess I don't know exacttly what to do but I did try the program. I guess I will hire a local to do the calculations and then unfortunately I don't see a happy ending for me and my contractor.

Thanks for the help guys.

Charles

Comment

Working...
            X