Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lennox GH6-100C Furnace??

Hi guys,

Sorry to intrude in your neck of the forum, but I'm trying to find some information on my furnace. I'm a plumber by trade and my heating experience is limited to (small) hydronic systems. Not trying to become a HVAC tech. Not trying to bite off more than I can chew.

So here it is:

I have a Lennox GH6-100C Furnace original to the building (ca. 1965).

The beast still blows hot, but the blower stays on constantly when set to "Heat" on the stat. Result is that it blows cold air after burner shuts off.

A buddy of mine suggested an issue with the blower relay?

I'll be having my HVAC guy make the repair, but I just wanted to do my homework so I know whether or not the new furnace song & dance that he gave me last time is worth considering. I know parts for the old units can be pricey.

Quick repair?

More hassle than it's worth?

-Chris

Re: Lennox GH6-100C Furnace??

Blower relay or fan/limit switch is sticking.

Comment

REPLACE IT. My god man, 1965. You MIGHT be at 50% efficiency on a good day. If you up it to 95%, you'll even get 1500 from Uncle Sam. You'll save a ton, you'll be safer, it'll have a great Warranty, you'll have way better comfort, and piece of mind.
      I think you know that the "song and dance" is your reality so if it takes a few of us to help you know it's worth it......
      Yes a new Fan limit will probably fix your problem but if not now, soon is a great idea.
      Besides, are you sure your guy can properly inspect that exchanger and tell you without a doubt there isn't even a possible crack? Most can't unfortunatly.
      Good luck to you! BTW do all plumbers have this problem? ------>

Comment

Originally posted by rjm78 View Post
        REPLACE IT. My god man, 1965. You MIGHT be at 50% efficiency on a good day. If you up it to 95%, you'll even get 1500 from Uncle Sam. You'll save a ton, you'll be safer, it'll have a great Warranty, you'll have way better comfort, and piece of mind.
        I think you know that the "song and dance" is your reality so if it takes a few of us to help you know it's worth it......
        Yes a new Fan limit will probably fix your problem but if not now, soon is a great idea.
        Besides, are you sure your guy can properly inspect that exchanger and tell you without a doubt there isn't even a possible crack? Most can't unfortunatly.
        Good luck to you! BTW do all plumbers have this problem? ------>
        I think the problem with replacing the older Lennox furnaces, is you need a crane to move them.

I do agree he'd be $ ahead with a new furnace.

James

Comment

thanks for the advice gents. my dilemma is that $$$ is tight and we're not planning on staying longer that 5 years. the unit is only heating a 2 bedroom condo, so our gas bill isn't bad to start with. furnaces are in the basement and getting the old one out in 1 piece would be a miracle. sounds like a fun project for the grinder!we'll see. i'll probably just try to repair it. my hvac guy is very good. he works on these types of units a lot.re: plumber's crack yes most do. I actcually dropped a pencil into a co-worker's last summer while he was in a ditch on a sewer repair!

Comment

[QUOTE=.re: plumber's crack yes most do. I actcually dropped a pencil into a co-worker's last summer while he was in a ditch on a sewer repair![/QUOTE]

Bet he didn't even realize it until he sat down on the crapper huh?

Comment

Working...
            X