X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combustion Exhaust CO?

I was wondering what percentage, if any, a typical combustion exhaust CO emits on an external gas furnace?

Someone had piped it under their house and I told them to get it out.

They DO have a CO detector that has not ever gone off.

Wondering & trying to learn....

J.C.

Re: Combustion Exhaust CO?

What do you mean by "external gas furnace"?

I have hit 200 ppm with my CO meter on standard forced air furnace exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
      What do you mean by "external gas furnace"?

I have hit 200 ppm with my CO meter on standard forced air furnace exhaust.
      I think that's what I mean Bill. Standard Forced Air Furnace. Normal efficiency a few years old.

J.C.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, CO makes up a very small percentage of the flue gas. It's the potential of improper combustion that will increase the risk of CO poisoning and makes it so dangerous. If there is a crack, or flue leak....AND......it's very dirty or has poor combustion air, then you'll be on trouble. Normally though, I would bet it's not very high ppm at all.
        Most CO detectors dont go off until the level gets to a very amount. Thats why slow poisoning is often mis-diagnosed as flue like symptoms. If a bird plugs the flue....the detector will def go off........I little crack in the inducer housing.....it probbably wont even chirp. Both are very dangerous situations.

Comment

Here's what you need.

http://www.davis.com/catalog/product...ku=1011040&pfx=

James

Comment

First off this can't meet code so why question it any further?
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              First off this can't meet code so why question it any further?
              True but it does bring up an interesting question.

Comment

No mention of the efficiency of the furnace was made here and that says a lot.

I am assuming it is an 80%. The venting requirements of such a unit are by code required to have a minimum amount of raise of 1/4" per foot.

Exhausting under the home is the most hazardous scenario there is.

Just because you read low CO with a combustion tester does not even begin to address what the other constituents elements of the flue gas are doing to the under structure of the home.

Wood will rot, copper and other metal fixtures rust and the the fumes will find their way into the home as different types of chemical composition that is deleterious to children's and elderly folks.

Not to mention it is just plain stupid to vent a heating appliance under a home.

Last edited by hvaclover; 01-21-2010, 06:15 AM.
                Just slow, not stupid

Comment

Working...
                X