Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATTEN: HVAC TECHS! Is Bob Villa Correct?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATTEN: HVAC TECHS! Is Bob Villa Correct?

I have to know,

"I" personally have heard mixed reviews about the E g an Pure Header

So what I am asking is, Does this thing work?

Bob Villa swears that the HVAC will loose 50% and this can help me?

Whats your HVAC thoughts on this?

PS: I have no HVAC experience, that's why I am asking

Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Re: ATTEN: HVAC TECHS! Is Bob Villa Correct?

this is not true. i have been in many homes where the homeowner said that all it did was trasfer it from gas to electric on there bill. so if you heat with gas it will reduce your heat (gas bill) but your electric bill will go up. as far as it costing pennies... it's lots of pennies a day, not just a couple. my gas bill costs me pennies a day. how many pennies? LOTS!

if you have a room in the house that is colder then the rest you can use this instead of raising the heat for the whole house.
    the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

"Can" = possible in some oddball scenario.

I am skeptical of most ads that use the word can.

Comment

Thanks guys,

I have heard it sucks and its great, so I have no idea what to think!

I was surprised to see Bob Villa doing the ad,

I wonder if these things wind up sucking, if he will ruin his reputation....(Bob Villa)

BTW: Someone told me that JUST the 'elements' were UL listed and NOT the entire unit........
        Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV

Comment

The EdenPURE heater was last on the Consumer Reports ranking of space heaters. They claim it is overpriced and has lackluster performance.
          Below is part of what was in the article.

If you're in the market for a new space heater, be dubious about any heater whose manufacturer claims the appliance will slash your heating bills. Here's why:

For every degree that you lower your home thermostat in the winter, you'll save about 3 percent on heating costs. So the only way to really save with a space heater would be to use the unit in the room you're in and turn down the thermostat elsewhere in the house so that your main heating system would not operate. To save 50 percent on your heating bill, you'd have to lower the home thermostat about 17°F. Also, based on national average fuel prices, using an electric space costs more than twice as much to operate as a natural-gas-fueled central-heating system.

The EdenPURE was also the most expensive unit tested.

I think Bob Vila lost a lot a lot of credibility for pushing this product. There are plenty of cheaper, better space heaters on the market. And 1500 watts is still the maximum for a portable space heater no matter who makes it.
          When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

Originally posted by DSurette View Post
            The EdenPURE heater was last on the Consumer Reports ranking of space heaters. They claim it is overpriced and has lackluster performance.
            Below is part of what was in the article.

If you're in the market for a new space heater, be dubious about any heater whose manufacturer claims the appliance will slash your heating bills. Here's why:

For every degree that you lower your home thermostat in the winter, you'll save about 3 percent on heating costs. So the only way to really save with a space heater would be to use the unit in the room you're in and turn down the thermostat elsewhere in the house so that your main heating system would not operate. To save 50 percent on your heating bill, you'd have to lower the home thermostat about 17°F. Also, based on national average fuel prices, using an electric space costs more than twice as much to operate as a natural-gas-fueled central-heating system.

The EdenPURE was also the most expensive unit tested.

I think Bob Vila lost a lot a lot of credibility for pushing this product. There are plenty of cheaper, better space heaters on the market. And 1500 watts is still the maximum for a portable space heater no matter who makes it.
            If CON sumer reports gives it a bad rating, it must be okay!

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
              If CON sumer reports gives it a bad rating, it must be okay!

LOL - See there is that ying / yang again, some say black and some say white

Who knows, I was just actually so surprised that Bob Villa endorsed it,

On my website, many visitors have said it sucked and then others praise the thing! I think everyone is divided 50/50 on everything!

Look:

http://wetheadmedia.com/edenpure-hea...ge-1/#comments

Some say: "I love it" Then some say: "Its a piece of junk!"

I don't get it

Comment

It is a 1500W space heater. What can it possibly do to make it cost 3 - 4 times more than other quartz space heaters?
                When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

Electric resistive heat will always be the most cost INefficient..

If you want to see what the savings/cost will be for your particular situation give me:

-Cents per kilowatt cost and average usage

-Cost per Therm of Nat gas and average usage

If you are on #2 fuel oil cost per gallon and usage (I have never worked with fuel oil calcs but I'm sure it can be worked out.)

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                    Thanks guys,.....I was surprised to see Bob Villa doing the ad,

I wonder if these things wind up sucking, if he will ruin his reputation....(Bob Villa)

Reputation? Bob Villa? You have to kidding me! Its a joke, right? Any credibility he had was lost long ago amid a bunch of lawsuits.

Go
                    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post

Reputation? Bob Villa? You have to kidding me! Its a joke, right? Any credibility he had was lost long ago amid a bunch of lawsuits.

Go
                      Yes - off course it was a joke

Thats the point, He has reduced himself down to a Corporate sales boy

Comment

Originally posted by Jerad View Post
                        ...if you have a room in the house that is colder then the rest you can use this instead of raising the heat for the whole house.
                        That is the whole key.

I heard one of these comercials a few nights ago, and one of the buyers they interviewed talked about the device saving him tons of money... but he also said that he sets the house thermostat to 60 and uses this device to heat just the one room he stays in the most.

Comment

"I've said it on TV...The edinpure heater really can save you up to 50% on you home heating bill!" Bob Vila

Well that settles it! He said it on TV so it has to be true!

Wouldn't the added cost of electricity still be considered part of your home heating bill?
                          So I guess if I change from oil to 10 of these heaters my home heating bill will go to Zero????????

My 13yr old daughter just heard the spot on the radio. They claim "they never start fires!!!" She said "what if I put it on the couch and wrap it in a blanket"?
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

CORRECTION: The heater my daughter was joking about was NOT the Edinpure but one just like it. I think it may have been the 'I Heater'.
                            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                              CORRECTION: The heater my daughter was joking about was NOT the Edinpure but one just like it. I think it may have been the 'I Heater'.
                              They've been advertising them as a clearance sale at hotels around here. These people deserve to go to jail for preying on old people; though I'm just in an annoyed mood.

Plenty of car dealers are also the scum of the earth. My Mazda dealer been trying to sell me a "transmission fluid flush" for like the last two times I've gotten an oil change. I say no, but this time I call up Mazda to figure out when it does need to get replaced, since the manual doesn't have anything except checking the fluid level 2x a year. I call up Mazda (corporate help line), and the guy asks if I have problems with my transmission; after I tell him no he says that I basically never need to change it. I tell the dealer that and they act all shocked and say "Trust me, we would never try to sell me something I don't need."

Its the same mode of operation, trying to scare people who don't know any better into spending lots of money on high-margin crap they don't need.

Comment

Working...
                              X