New Thermostat No Heat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Thermostat No Heat

Just bought a new thermostat (Honeywell RHT2310) for a 50 + year old Niagara Gas Furnace (which doesn't seem to be listed anywhere, no surprise). The furnace ran continuously with the old thermostat but won't run at all with the new one. After installation the fan ran in the ON position, but the previously very audible electric click igniting the burners didn't happen. I called Honeywell tech support and they told me to put the W wire in the RC and leave the RC wire loose and take the RH wire out and leave it loose. When I plugged the face on, the fan came on immediately but no burner action. In fact all that seemed different was the fan now runs in the Auto and ON positions. Oh yeah, prior to tech support nothing happened when ambient temp was dropped below the set temp. After only the fan kicks on with temp drop, no burners. What is wrong here?: I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks
    Djame

Re: New Thermostat No Heat

50+ year old furnace, Wow!!! That's like the old 1955 -1960 vintage rooftop units I kept cobbled together for 23 years.

Is the gas valve line voltage or 24 volts?

The conductor to energize the gas valve should connect to the W terminal, not RC
    Did the Honeywell tech person have an Indian accent?

James

Comment

it's a 24 volt system 5 wire. I labeled the wires as i took them off of the old T87 but am feeling somethings not hooked up right. So much for 15 minute easy installation. and yes I got "tech support" via India

thanks for your response
      djame

Comment

Originally posted by djame View Post
        it's a 24 volt system 5 wire. I labeled the wires as i took them off of the old T87 but am feeling somethings not hooked up right. So much for 15 minute easy installation. and yes I got "tech support" via India

thanks for your response
        djame
        Five wire with a T87, what terminal was the fifth wire connected to?

R-Red 24 volt from transformer
        G-fan relay
        Y-cooling contactor
        W-gas valve

James

Comment

why did you change thermo? if furnace was not working suppose there might be a problem? if you just wanted a new thermo, good to go. wire it per the instructions with new thermo. that's what the pictures are. schematics. use them. take a big piece of paper and make a drawing. breid...........

Comment

Working...
          X