High efficiency furnaces

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High efficiency furnaces

On the water discharge. What are the rocks inside the 2" pvc filter. The are white stones
    How do they work??
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: High efficiency furnaces

lime stone netraise the acid make safe for drain pipes

Comment

The condensate from high efficiency furnaces is acidic (a natural by-product of natural gas combustion). Depending on your supply of gas you will find nitric and sulphuric acid (pH 2-3) as by-products. These acids will destroy many metals including copper (see my thread below) and will eat away at joints in old clay sewer pipe, and some clay pipes themselves. The acids will also mess around with the pH at the sewage treatments plants. PVC and ABS pipes seem unharmed (in the short term anyway). In order to neutralize these acids (bring to pH 7 like clean water) either limestone or marble chips are introduced to the condensate before it goes to the sewer. It's a good cheap solution, but make sure to add more limestone/marble chips as they get consummed. On an install I did for myself I added a nice 2" ABS P-trap and filled it with marble stones to take the condensate. Did a GREAT job at neutralizing the acid from the furnace. I checked the pH of the effluent and it was near to 7 as you could get.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27664
      Last edited by Chemeng; 01-28-2010, 09:19 AM. Reason: forgot to add my thread

Comment

Chemeng, thats what I am talking about with this forum. What a great simple idea. Over here we are starting to see more and more condensing boilers(mainly Baxis) and it will be helpful to remember this.

THANKYOU..........!!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X