X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Brazing?

I just watched Ask This Old House. They were installing a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim (I think that's the name) and flared the lines on the system.

Why no brazing?

Thanks.

J.C.
    Attached Files

Re: No Brazing?

So easy a caveman could do it.

Comment

Here's a video of a similar install.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...630888,00.html

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        I just watched Ask This Old House. They were installing a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim (I think that's the name) and flared the lines on the system.

Why no brazing?

Thanks.

J.C.
        I watched it also. Flare fittings are common with the mini splits.

I've run into units where compression fittings were used. They usually leaked. When R22 was $.50 lb wholesale, who cared.

I couldn't believe the first flare the guy made. The tubing end was smashed. The flare came out good. Either he's damned good at flaring copper or some film editing was needed.

Hell, I have to use flare gaskets to get my flares to seal.

James

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
          I watched it also. Flare fittings are common with the mini splits.

I've run into units where compression fittings were used. They usually leaked. When R22 was $.50 lb wholesale, who cared.

I couldn't believe the first flare the guy made. The tubing end was smashed. The flare came out good. Either he's damned good at flaring copper or some film editing was needed.

Hell, I have to use flare gaskets to get my flares to seal.

James
          Saw the same thing. Maybe a real good flaring tool...

J.C.

Comment

But again, why no brazing? That's just a couple of couplings.

And why can flares hold the pressure? Even some solders have much higher tensile strength than flares. Right?

Thanks. Just studying....

J.C.

Comment

J. C., I think it's the business model. Not many D. I. Y./ H. O.'s can braze. This opens it up to be sold at home depot.

Comment

You'd have to purge the line to avoid contamination
                which in those small lines would be hell to get out.

Last mini-split I put in (Sanyo 12KHS71) the manual
                said to put a little (R410A compatible) refrigerant oil
                on the flare connections.

I noticed they didn't do that on the show.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

We have installed 30+ Fujitsu mini splits, pipe cut square, reamed with tuning end facing the ground so pieces can't get into system. Properly flared so flare only covers about 3/4 of the flare face of the fitting. Wiped with some ester based oil and properly tightened. I have a set of torque wrenches CPS brand that I ordered at a Fujitsu school. About a C-note if I remember right.
                  1/4" 150 in lbs
                  3/8" 300 in lbs
                  1/2" 500 in lbs
                  5/8" 650 in lbs
                  Test the system side with nitrogen @500 psi. Not one leak on any one of these systems. Vac the system down to 1000 micron and your golden.
                  Proper installation of any thing is the key to no problems.
                  WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
                  ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

That's all fine but doesn't answer my question. Respectfully.

Why are flared connections allowed on this? Is the pressure lower?

Why are flared connections not used on other systems? Is the pressure higher?

I do not install or work on HVAC at all, but I think if I was an installer I would go for the strongest & least likely to cause a callback connection. Seems a braze would beat a flare every time.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

this is kinda off topic
                      but flare fittings are used on 3000 psi hydraulics, called JIC fittings, there 37 degree.

so the fitting is not necessary a low psi fitting,

I think the question may be is there better connections, and I do think there is.
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

That's all fine but doesn't answer my question. Respectfully.

Why are flared connections allowed on this? Is the pressure lower?

Why are flared connections not used on other systems? Is the pressure higher?

I do not install or work on HVAC at all, but I think if I was an installer I would go for the strongest & least likely to cause a callback connection. Seems a braze would beat a flare every time.

Thanks.

J.C.
                        Flare connections are used in refrigeration.

Also on AC evap. coils there's a mechanical fitting at the TXV or metering orifice.

James

Comment

Thanks James. I don't want to beat it to death but want to make sure I get it.

The same lines doing the same thing on other systems can be connected with flared fittings?

Example: 2 Ton Trane Residential HVAC unit that sits outside on a pad.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks James. I don't want to beat it to death but want to make sure I get it.

The same lines doing the same thing on other systems can be connected with flared fittings?

Example: 2 Ton Trane Residential HVAC unit that sits outside on a pad.

Thanks.

J.C.
                            The short answer is Yes.

For me a brazed connection is more desirable, but there are situations where a mechanical fitting is more suited. If you ever worked on larger tonnage compressors you would learn to appreciate mechanical connections like the Rotolock.

I've ran across many split systems that the connections were soft soldered together. Usually by plumbers who do hvac also or the local yokel handymen types who can only drop a bird turd with silfos.

James

Comment

Why no brazing?

Thanks.

J.C.

That's kinda like asking "Why not copper"

Because there is pex ;-)

Everyone wants fast, cheap and faster
                              Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                              New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Working...
                              X