Heat pump popularity?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat pump popularity?

How popular are heat pumps in your part of the country?

I am trying to find out where they are used the most and how many are used residentially and commercially in the U.S. and Canada, but can not find the info on the web.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Re: Heat pump popularity?

Heat pumps are not very popular here in San Jose, CA. The dominant form of space heating is natural gas. Electric rates here are very high - heat pumps don't compete well with natural gas on energy cost.

A growing number of homes here, including most new construction, have air conditioning. Even so, it is still cheaper to have a gas furnace in addition to the A/C unit.

I personally know only one couple that has a heat pump. They live in the Saratoga foothills in an area where there is no natural gas service.

Comment

A lot of heat pumps around here. Most are in the rural areas were nat. gas isn't available.Also quite a few water source heat pumps in institutional and commercial settings.

James
      Last edited by James P; 02-11-2010, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Heat pump popularity has increased significantly here in Minnesota over the last few years. This is due to the higher efficiency heat pumps that are manufactured today. They make the cost per BTU produced lower than burning natural gas. When the utility rebates are taken into account the lifetime cost of owning and operating the heat pump system is favorable to that of a traditional system. I am referring to a heat pump combined with a high efficiency gas furnace and using a dual fuel control to get the optimal performance out of the system. Some areas of Minnesota also offer discounts on the electric bill for using a heat pump system.

Comment

Working...
        X