Clear All

• Unlicensed repairman trying to kill homeowners

CHECK OUT THIS LINK A UNLICENSED HACK

REPAIRS CRACKED HEAT EXCHANGERS BUT

CHARGING HOMEOWNERS FOR NEW FAU'S

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news...nsed-repairman

JERRYMAC
    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
    SINCE JAN. 1989

Re: Unlicensed repairman trying to kill homeowners

$1200 for a new furnace installed should have sent off a something is wrong alarm.
    Looks like he smeared duct mastic on the the duct board plenums Is this what the news man is calling a heat exchanger repair?
    What a wad of flex duct, I think I'd be going after the intial installer.
    Last edited by James P; 02-19-2010, 09:17 PM.

Comment

License or no license, most likely is not as much of an issue as the guy was crook,
      he was out to to take advantage of people, and cheat them, he could have been doing the same thing and have had a state approved license,
      In this case he just happened to be a unlicensed crook,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Here are the things I 'hate' about this video, even though I feel this is a good thing to see happen:

It was most likely a slow news week

This guy must of clipped someone important to make this a news story

The laws are so vague that only a slap on the wrist will come out of this situation. <<< Follow it to the end and you'll see what I mean. It'll most likely be some ridiculously low fine and a "You can't do that until" attitude.

Nobody died in the glue up of heat exchanger...

Totally wrong, but unless there are dead bodies the legal system will not come down hard on this guy.

This guy was smiling, more than once and I'm sure he's walked this line more than once and got dinged.

The above situation happens constantly. It's never going to go away, ever. A good lawyer for this guy and he'll escape damn near everything they throw at him.

They'll draw comparison to what "bad" people do and come up with a figure and he'll most likely pay it.

There are only 2 people in the entire state of KY that can enforce this sort of thing in the plumbing aspect of the equation.

How can you ever police such a situation that's chronic and expect that to be justice for the consumer?

I wish this sort of thing would happen daily but unless you beat this guy with whips and chains, dismember his arms and hands from his body,

he'll be doing this again in no time flat. He'll just be a lil' more magical in his steps. The Coleman tag replacement was a little bit over the line though.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

What I don't understand is, who would sell HVACR equipment and parts to unlicensed hacks?
          Here in Arkansas an HVACR wholesaler will not sell a thermostat to an unlicensed person.
          One misconception among many is, if you have an EPA certification to purchase refrigerants it entitles you to do HVAC work. I can't count the persons I have ran into with an EPA certification that think they are qualified to install, service, and repair HVAC equipment.
          I took my EPA test in 94 closed book. I've been told it's now an open book test which can be taken online by anyone. Must be some truth to it, some of the yokels I run into couldn't pour piss out of boot if the directions were printed on the heel, let alone repair HVACR equipment.

James
          Last edited by James P; 02-20-2010, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
            What I don't understand is, who would sell HVACR equipment and parts to unlicensed hacks?

James

Damn near every hvac wholesale supplier these days, at least in my area. Never turn down a meal no matter who walks in the door.

Rules have been pitched out the window for the most part, survival mode even though people are still eating out, seeing movies.

It hit a sector that prospered mainly through excessive growth.

Those companies didn't prepare, thuse, the downfall and determined ending.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
              Here in Arkansas an HVACR wholesaler will not sell a thermostat to an unlicensed person.
              One misconception among many is, if you have an EPA certification to purchase refrigerants it entitles you to do HVAC work. I can't count the persons I have ran into with an EPA certification that think they are qualified to install, service, and repair HVAC equipment.
              I took my EPA test in 94 closed book. I've been told it's now an open book test which can be taken online by anyone. Must be some truth to it, some of the yokels I run into couldn't pour piss out of boot if the directions were printed on the heel, let alone repair HVACR equipment.

James
              Have you ever seen the sites on the internet? They will sell to anyone.
              DIRTFT

Comment

Originally posted by qwertyhvac View Post
                Have you ever seen the sites on the internet? They will sell to anyone.
                I've seen them.

Comment

Something to know-

Its not an EPA certification in Texas that they call licensing is an actual contractors license that requires years as an apprentice along with fees and a test. This test is also recurring.

You must produce and have on file this # to purchase equipment from a reputable distributor. That doesn't stop a secondary seller or purchase on-line of course to obtain equipment. Any manufacturer that knowing allows their equipment to show up on-line, should be given a different look by their dealers. Notice he didn't buy or replace equipment, only bought and applied duct sealer that he picked up at the local HD.

Comment

Working...
                  X