X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She wants a quiet hot air furnace

Will be getting 2 bids to replace an old unit. Of course We want hi efficiency for the tax break. Any suggestions on the good and the bad?? How about carrier ? Thank"s in advance
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: She wants a quiet hot air furnace

Carriers are fine, that's what I install.

The only thing I would stay away from is any furnace that uses the Honeywell Smart Valve.

Comment

I just had a Trane HE heat pump installed and it is very quiet even after the blower ramps up to max speed. The outside unit is super quiet as well compared to the 25 year old Carrier unit it replaced, despite being 3x the size. I realize that you are looking for a furnace and not a heat pump, but I would guess their furnaces are also very quiet.

Comment

Carrier Infinity System

Disclaimer: I am a Carrier Dealer

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
          Carrier Infinity System

Disclaimer: I am a Carrier Dealer
          At-a-boy for the disclaimer!

I BELIEVE Lennox totes the "quietest funace in it's class" award

Disclaimer: I am a Lennox dealer .....but did one in my own house too.
          G61mpv and this summer did a lennox XC14. LOVE IT

Main reason for the furnace was noise, I shite you not. Way better.
          You have to go high efficency if you can cause the bulk of the noise most hate is the in shot burners.
          "blow torch noise"
          Hight eff are sealed combustion so you wont here it.
          Variable motors are also key cause the only go as fast as they have to if properly set up.

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by rjm78 View Post

You have to go high efficency if you can cause the bulk of the noise most hate is the in shot burners.
            "blow torch noise"
            Variable motors are also key cause the only go as fast as they have to if properly set up.

Hope this helps
            Music to my ears.

Nothing soothes me more than the roar of burners.

Comment

Originally posted by rjm78 View Post

"blow torch noise"

Hope this helps
              I have a Carrier Infinty System in my house

Dual speed 21 SEER Condenser with a 96% Variable Speed Gas Furnace.
              People never believe me when I tell them I cut my summer electric bill by 37% (The electrical savings alone will pay off this system in 5 years)

"Quietest furnace in it's class"? You gotta provide a link if you make a statement like that Sounds like used car sales

Carrier Infinity Systems are a Consumer Digest "Best Buy"

Here is the link: http://www.residential.carrier.com/n...20090501.shtml

Here is a link to learn about the Carrier Infinity System: http://www.residential.carrier.com/s....shtml#/system

Last edited by OkieBill; 02-24-2010, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Tell her to remarry.

J.C.

Comment

I have a Carrier Infinty System in my house

Dual speed 21 SEER Condenser with a 96% Variable Speed Gas Furnace.
                  People never believe me when I tell them I cut my summer electric bill by 37% (The electrical savings alone will pay off this system in 5 years)

"Quietest furnace in it's class"? You gotta provide a link if you make a statement like that Sounds like used car sales

Carrier Infinity Systems are a Consumer Digest "Best Buy"

Here is the link: http://www.residential.carrier.com/n...20090501.shtml

Here is a link to learn about the Carrier Infinity System: http://www.residential.carrier.com/s....shtml#/system

Bill,

Good thing you're a Carrier dealer. When that beast goes belly up at least you can get the parts at cost and free labor.

Too many bells and whistles for me just to heat and cool a house.

I'd put more $ into properly sized and constructed duct.

James

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
                    Bill,

Good thing you're a Carrier dealer. When that beast goes belly up at least you can get the parts at cost and free labor.

Too many bells and whistles for me just to heat and cool a house.

I'd put more $ into properly sized and constructed duct.

James
                    I have had my system in for 2 years now with no problems

My oldest Infinity install is almost 3 years and no call backs.

Never expect the best systems in the world (Carrier, Lennox , Trane) to come at K-mart prices, All High Efficiency systems use dealer only parts for now.... As these systems become more mainstream the aftermarket parts companies will get non dealer aftermarket parts to the supply houses

I have a single aftermarket Honeywell Furnace Control Board on the truck that will replace over 100 different boards from a dozen manufacturers, This would not have been possible 2-3 years ago.

Best advice is to spend the extra $400 bucks and get the 10 year parts and labor coverage ( I price this into my customers systems)

Comment

Go with a Rheem Modulating furnace. Have one in my own home and you don't even know that it is running. This type of furnace is not just a 2-stage. It modulates anywhere from 40% to 100% of its rated capacity.
                      DIRTFT

Comment

I have had my system in for 2 years now with no problems

My oldest Infinity install is almost 3 years and no call backs.

Never expect the best systems in the world (Carrier, Lennox , Trane) to come at K-mart prices, All High Efficiency systems use dealer only parts for now.... As these systems become more mainstream the aftermarket parts companies will get non dealer aftermarket parts to the supply houses

I have a single aftermarket Honeywell Furnace Control Board on the truck that will replace over 100 different boards from a dozen manufacturers, This would not have been possible 2-3 years ago.

Best advice is to spend the extra $400 bucks and get the 10 year parts and labor coverage ( I price this into my customers systems)

Bill,

That's good advice. The problem I have is the equipment has a 20 year life. What do you do for the next ten years?

I ran into an older Trane HP air handler a few years ago with a bad VFD. The VFD was obsolete and the 3 replacement parts to upgrade were $1,100. Could have bought a new air handler for about 1/2 that. The only problem was the AH was shoe horned in an attic, the unit was installed before the upstairs walls were put up.These folks were about to be out some serious money to get their blower working.

I suggested converting it to a multiple speed drive. A switching relay, new motor, and a little wiring and it was up and running for less than $400.

I'm all for KISS. I've had my share of VFD's, Modulating GV furnaces, 2 speed compressors, heat wheels, and about any other money pit gadget to make us more GREEN. I would rather pay a little more in utility costs than get slammed with a huge repair bill.

James

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
                          Bill,

That's good advice. The problem I have is the equipment has a 20 year life. What do you do for the next ten years?

I ran into an older Trane HP air handler a few years ago with a bad VFD. The VFD was obsolete and the 3 replacement parts to upgrade were $1,100. Could have bought a new air handler for about 1/2 that. The only problem was the AH was shoe horned in an attic, the unit was installed before the upstairs walls were put up.These folks were about to be out some serious money to get their blower working.

I suggested converting it to a multiple speed drive. A switching relay, new motor, and a little wiring and it was up and running for less than $400.

I'm all for KISS. I've had my share of VFD's, Modulating GV furnaces, 2 speed compressors, heat wheels, and about any other money pit gadget to make us more GREEN. I would rather pay a little more in utility costs than get slammed with a huge repair bill.

James
                          James, I think times are changing though...

With the changes in environmental mindsets ( think 410A) and all of the rebates and tax credits the upper end is becoming the new average.

I agree the older equipment is tuff to deal with but this technology is already standardizing between the big three ( All are using the same GE variable speed motors)

IMO it is only going to get easier to service the newer equipment down the road

Comment

James, I think times are changing though...

With the changes in environmental mindsets ( think 410A) and all of the rebates and tax credits the upper end is becoming the new average.

I agree the older equipment is tuff to deal with but this technology is already standardizing between the big three ( All are using the same GE variable speed motors)

IMO it is only going to get easier to service the newer equipment down the road
                            Bill, I hope you are right.

james

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              Tell her to remarry.

J.C.
                              She's a beautiful red Head , You should be so lucky
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X