X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how big does my gas line need to be

I am building my new garage/worshop this summer. It will be 26x40 with 10' walls. I will finish out the inside and insulate. I am planning on adding a natural gas heater like this one-
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6363_200316363

My shop will be set back from the house about 120'.

I haven't decided between setting a propane tank and running a gas line. I think I would rather have gas but cost is a factor.

My question is what size/type of line should I go with. That furnace is the only thing I will be using gas for in the shop. I have debated on using csst but once again cost is a factor.

If any one can give me some advice, it would be appreciated.

Re: how big does my gas line need to be

it will depend entirely on the BTU rating of the heater, if you can get that rating, your incoming W.C. at the meter, and the total developed length, you should be able to gauge the pipe size with the charts from your local gas code book.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

You dont use CSST for bury

You will need underground PE with steel risers

For the 75,000 BTU, 3/4" wont cut it so 1" is the way to go with room to spare.

Comment

I'm gonna post my 2 cents here...

Unless you are licensed and are willing to post your license# (putting your name and insurance on the line) you should not be dispensing gas line advice.
        To blindly give gas line advice to someone who you have no idea who they are or what their capabilities are is reckless and criminal if that person hurts themselves or others.

The only proper advice to give in this situation is:

" Contact a licensed gas installer in your area for advice of this nature"

Wanna Flame??? Go ahead but it is tuff to defend Stupidity

Comment

Thats why I liked my advice Okie, it appeared helpful without really answering his question.

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
          I'm gonna post my 2 cents here...

Unless you are licensed and are willing to post your license# (putting your name and insurance on the line) you should not be dispensing gas line advice.
          To blindly give gas line advice to someone who you have no idea who they are or what their capabilities are is reckless and criminal if that person hurts themselves or others.

" Contact a licensed gas installer in your area for advice of this nature"

Wanna Flame??? Go ahead but it is tuff to defend Stupidity
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I plan on letting a professional install it. I am just trying to guage what kind of material/cost will be involved.

Thanks for all of the replies

Comment

Wow, but you have no problem giving electrical advice on a ductless split

Unless you are licensed electrician and are willing to post your license# (putting your name and insurance on the line) you should not be dispensing electrical advice.
              To blindly give electrical advice to someone who you have no idea who they are or what their capabilities are is reckless and criminal if that person hurts themselves or others.

" Contact a licensed electrician in your area for advice of this nature"

Your 2 cents doesnt add up to much

On my behalf, minimal info was given but helps to put him on the right track. I understand how you forum gods get annoyed when someone answers first.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee H View Post
                Wow, but you have no problem giving electrical advice on a ductless split

Unless you are licensed electrician and are willing to post your license# (putting your name and insurance on the line) you should not be dispensing electrical advice.
                To blindly give electrical advice to someone who you have no idea who they are or what their capabilities are is reckless and criminal if that person hurts themselves or others.

" Contact a licensed electrician in your area for advice of this nature"

Your 2 cents doesnt add up to much

On my behalf, minimal info was given but helps to put him on the right track. I understand how you forum gods get annoyed when someone answers first.
                The point you appear to miss in your quest to justify your reckless behavior is who was I giving the advice to and who were you giving the advice to and what was the nature of the advice being given...

I can understand why you are upset, It never feels good being told you have acted irresponsibly...

As far as being a "Forum God" as you so eliquently put it , I have been a member in good standing of this board for years and consider myself a fine upstanding member of this community, ultimately my credentials and history speak for themselves....

Let your conscience be your guide but don't let a fragile ego prevent you from missing the lesson because this is not about you, it's not about me, It's about the unintended consequences of our actions and personal responsibility.

This is a great site! Stick around and be a valuable contributor, I'm sure you have alot to offer

Comment

Working...
                X