Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run away floor furnace

I am not the heater guy
    But a had a old customer call this morning early 3 time and said his heater would not shut off and it was 100 deg in the house and he had the doors open and he was burning up
    He called 911 but they don't do heaters
    he is old and has had a hard time making things work
    i went there the first thing this morning it was only 90 some thing , in the house the heater was real hot i went to the thermostat it was millivolt and took the wires loose but the burner wouldn't quit
    so i turned it to pilot and went and got some new thermostat wire
    the old wire was probably 3 floor furnaces old . lots of tape and splices and had shorted out
    The floor furnace did have some kind of high limit switch to shut it down before 100 or it might have slow cooked the guy

Re: Run away floor furnace

I had a similar thing happen with an old Pennsylvania Furnace (brand) central heating unit that was in the house here in Painted Post. It was probably installed in the early 50's, I'm guessing.

Several years ago we were away for a weekend and on return found that the house temperature was well into the 90's and the furnace was roaring away. In our case, the thermostat and wiring checked out just fine, and what had happened was that one of the solenoid-operated gas valves had stuck open. Fortunately the other burner had shut off, but even with one burner going it was enough to heat up the house pretty well.

All it took to shut it off at that moment was a quick rap on the solenoid head. I then disconnected the wiring to it and manually shut off the gas valve to that particular side. The second burner mechanism worked fine and we called the local gas company's service department who came right over the next day and replaced the faulty valve.

We replaced that furnace about five years ago with a Trane. I hated to see it go though, as it was very quiet and otherwise ran well. But the cast iron exchanger cracked.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
      I am not the heater guy
      But a had a old customer call this morning early 3 time and said his heater would not shut off and it was 100 deg in the house and he had the doors open and he was burning up
      He called 911 but they don't do heaters
      he is old and has had a hard time making things work
      i went there the first thing this morning it was only 90 some thing , in the house the heater was real hot i went to the thermostat it was millivolt and took the wires loose but the burner wouldn't quit
      so i turned it to pilot and went and got some new thermostat wire
      the old wire was probably 3 floor furnaces old . lots of tape and splices and had shorted out
      The floor furnace did have some kind of high limit switch to shut it down before 100 or it might have slow cooked the guy
      That's strange, the FD here would have red tagged it.

Comment

You would have thought some one could have stopped by his house to see what was going on...All i had to do was turn it to pilot to make it go off
        If it was a cat in a tree every one would have showed up

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
          You would have thought some one could have stopped by his house to see what was going on...All i had to do was turn it to pilot to make it go off
          If it was a cat in a tree every one would have showed up
          I had a tennant a few years ago that called 911 because he smelled carbon monoxide. Arkansas Western Gas, the fire and police dept all showed up.

James

Comment

When he called 911 some one should have stopped buy, And Turned the knob to pilot and let some one else do the repair
            Must of had a doughnut special that night

Comment

Working...
            X