X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• condensate dump

Question ! New replacement 95 percent furnace. 2nd floor condensate pvc out wall to ground side of home. PROBLEM! soffet with allum. gutter are in way. can I dump in gutter ?
    Will look bad doing 45s around the soffet. I'm only doing roof flashing and pvc on this for My heat Guy. Will be inspected, He doesn't know.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: condensate dump

Toolaholic correct me if I am wrong but it is more about what materials are in place. The spout may corrode because the condensate water has come from an aluminium coil. Look into compatibility of metals

Comment

Why not just do it right?

If he is changing the furnace the condensate drain line will need to be tied into a building drain.

Gonna try to run condensate line out of a wall and punch into a gutter to drain? If you go into the gutter it will not only will the condensate eat the gutter but you will cause endless future gutter clogs.

Your heating guy needs to talk with his inspector first before he attempts this hackery

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
        Toolaholic correct me if I am wrong but it is more about what materials are in place. The spout may corrode because the condensate water has come from an aluminium coil. Look into compatibility of metals
        The Heating Condensate drain is what is being refered to here Cleanmen2

The by-products of combustion in a condensing furnace are caustic.

In a nutshell, All of the bad chemicals that used to get carried out the exhaust vent in a low efficiency furnace now go out with the heating condensate in a high efficiency gas furnace.

This condensate is regulated in many communities due to the damage it causes and some require special disposal methods.

Comment

thanks, He always puts in the lime rock filter. In this rural area it's ok to dump on the ground. There is no floor drain or any drain piping to tap into in this 2nd story furnace room.
          It's a nice home ! And This Man is no hack! Thanks for the replys
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            thanks, He always puts in the lime rock filter. In this rural area it's ok to dump on the ground . There is no floor drain or any drain piping to tap into in this 2nd story furnace room.
            It's a nice home ! And This Man is no hack! Thanks for the replys
            Anyone who does not take the time to deal with a caustic condensate stream properly is a Hack. To even suggest punching into a gutter is Hack. (at the very least run a dedicated line to a small french drain)
            Since you are "Rural" is no excuse for your heat guy not to have done the job properly...

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
              Anyone who does not take the time to deal with a caustic condensate stream properly is a Hack. To even suggest punching into a gutter is Hack. (at the very least run a dedicated line to a small french drain)
              Since you are "Rural" is no excuse for your heat guy not to have done the job properly...
              I thought the filter neutralized it? Guess not

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                I thought the filter neutralized it? Guess not
                I think I just have issue with not running the condensate to a hard drain but I really do understand when that is a tall order based on the situation.

I had one very similar where I had to use a little giant condensate pump and pump it into the attic where I then wet vented into a stack, all of this to avoid running it out of a wall.

Each situation is different...

Comment

Okie I think I totally stuffed up with my post. I dont want to be perceived or overspeak some of my peers. My intention was rather to sugget to toolaholic to talk to someone who knows about metals who would most likely raise the red flag warning of teh consequesces. Most of my work is remedial and maintenace. When we go into a job after a hack we are supposed to be sympathetic because Joe/Joesephine owner has found out they were totally lashed by someone else. Not any more. I promote my business of doing the job properly .It is ironic how I am shot to pieces on cost but when it hits the wall(that stuff that really sticks and has odour which outlives religion...) they are very backward in coming back to us for fear of "I told you so".

With Plumbing it is always about cost. Some play Russian Roulette and think they are smart. I prefer to hold my head high as a professional Master Plumber with a good reputation. Again I would not suggest anyone do anything dodgey or other but going outside this circle sometines reinforces what we know aready. One other thing and I am probably going to get hung for this I am looking into changing my title to Engineer. Our court system doesnt acknowlege us as Professionals like they do Engineer or Architect. I once got hammered because a Landscape Architect was held as an Expert Witness on a roof job we did.

Thanks for this forum and I do respect and accept teh knowlege that is shared here

Comment

Today We power washed their driveway and wooden Bridge over a creek. Also cleaned Two stories of Galvy gutters. Pretty rusted out. Not Much to lose when I dump the TREATED condensate runoff in them. Actually, I will be dumping into the eve tube. Gutter will never see this water. Downspouts are cheap.
                    Last edited by toolaholic; 03-20-2010, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X