X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Handler Constantly Runs

Hello, I have been browsing the Ridgid forums for years now and always enjoy the discussions.

Now I have a question of my own. My heat pump furnace/central air inside fan has been running constantly since about January. I have not noticed that the outside heat pump unit has run it's fan at all.

We had the HVAC put in a new 2 stage air handler with new electric heat strips in late summer. I've also tried to turn off the furnace at the thermostat and the fan still runs.

I guess I really need to know if this may be normal behavior for a heat pump system in the winter time. I'm in South Dakota so the furnace gets used. I don't notice that the thermostat shows that the heat strips are on all that much, it's just the fan that NEVER stops!

Thank you so much for your time!

Paul

Re: Air Handler Constantly Runs

Paul, It sounds like you are having an issue...

That being said, Heat pumps are a special breed all their own especially a multi speed system.

My first idea since this issue started in January (major heating month) is that your defrost control is faulty... Will the Condenser fan (outdoor fan) come on when you set the thermostat to call for cooling?

Comment

what type of thermostat is it and was this put in when the other work was done
      i had a Honeywell that when it was in auto the fan would come on and off like it was in the circulate mode
      so it might just be a bad t stat
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Esqualey View Post
        Hello, I have been browsing the Ridgid forums for years now and always enjoy the discussions.

Now I have a question of my own. My heat pump furnace/central air inside fan has been running constantly since about January. I have not noticed that the outside heat pump unit has run it's fan at all.

We had the HVAC put in a new 2 stage air handler with new electric heat strips in late summer. I've also tried to turn off the furnace at the thermostat and the fan still runs.

I guess I really need to know if this may be normal behavior for a heat pump system in the winter time. I'm in South Dakota so the furnace gets used. I don't notice that the thermostat shows that the heat strips are on all that much, it's just the fan that NEVER stops!

Thank you so much for your time!

Paul
        Could be a bad fan control board in the air handler.

James

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. What I did last night was shut everything off at the breaker panel. I waited half hour and then turned it all back on. The fan has stayed off. Looks like might have just needed a reset.

I will be checking to see if the outside unit turns on when I call for cooling tonight just to make sure.

The thermostat was an existing digital control that the HVAC company reprogrammed when they put in the new air handler. I will keep an eye on things, but it is good to know that this is not normal behavior!

Paul

Comment

Working...
          X